Views
Helpful
Replies

Configuration Assistant won't allow one DN to exist on multiple phones

c.holloway
Level 1
Level 1

Good Afternoon,

The issue I'm running into is exactly what my title says.  If I create an octo-line or dual-line DN on the CLI (or even in the CME GUI) and then assign it to multiple phones (typically we do this for organizations that want to be able to answer inbound calls and then just put them on hold on a line where another user can just resume) then I can no longer edit any of these phones in CCA because CCA considers this invalid.

I'm trying to find out if there is any way around this.  I tried replacing the problem DNs with the "Shared Line" feature in CCA but this doesn't work for us for a number of reasons, first and foremost because the client wants this DN to ring normally on some phones but have a silent ring on others (not possible with a CCA shared line).  Additionally, there is no way in CCA to set a call-forward all condition.

So all in all this feature is pretty useless to us and was hoping someone had some suggestions.

Also, yes I could just not use CCA (I only ever use it for the initial bulk configuration because its pretty limited and clunky) but the issue is the client wants a simplified way to manage his UC540 and CCA is the best bet for someone new to Cisco.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

danplacek
Level 4
Level 4

1. There is a UC500 specific section of the forums (for future reference).

2. As you said, CCA is clunky... I do not think there is any good work around for the problems you describe other than using the CLI. I maintain dozens of UC500's and CCA's issues with shared lines is completely annoying. Oddly, CCA WILL let you do CFA on floating extensions... but not normal phone extensions.

3. An alternative we use sometimes - Blast group for the incoming calls, park slots (with monitor keys on each of the phones) to pass calls around. Not *quite* as convenient as shared hold, but pretty close. In some ways the monitored park slots give you better visibility on how many calls are waiting...

Sorry for the bad news.

Please rate useful posts.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

danplacek
Level 4
Level 4

1. There is a UC500 specific section of the forums (for future reference).

2. As you said, CCA is clunky... I do not think there is any good work around for the problems you describe other than using the CLI. I maintain dozens of UC500's and CCA's issues with shared lines is completely annoying. Oddly, CCA WILL let you do CFA on floating extensions... but not normal phone extensions.

3. An alternative we use sometimes - Blast group for the incoming calls, park slots (with monitor keys on each of the phones) to pass calls around. Not *quite* as convenient as shared hold, but pretty close. In some ways the monitored park slots give you better visibility on how many calls are waiting...

Sorry for the bad news.

Please rate useful posts.

No worries, I thought this was the case.  I"ll just steer him away from CCA unless I can find a work around.  It would be nice if Cisco would deliver a GUI that didn't force you to dumb everything down .  I can only guess they stopped using SDM cause it wasn't noob friendly enough and had now telephony options

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: