cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Configuring 7925G on Windows 10 or Mac?

Toivo Voll
Level 1
Level 1

We want to find a better way to configure 7925g phones (certificates, wireless profiles etc.) and the deployment guide suggests connecting them to a PC via USB, and then creating a dummy serial network interface to reach the phone's web server is the way to go.

However, the drivers only exist for Windows 7, and don't install on Windows 10, which is the image we're using (even with compatibility settings.)

Are there drivers for Windows 10 somewhere? Does anyone know when they're coming?

Is there a way to do this on a Mac?

Are there other ways to do the initial config required to get the phone on the network, short of typing in complex passwords and SSIDs via the phone keypad? This seems like a completely unfeasible way to deploy these handsets in any kind of volume. (Even the web methods is pretty clunky.)

8 Replies 8

shusarka
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Toivo,

Could you please see this following document: http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cuipph/7925g/7_0/english/deployment/guide/7925dply.pdf

Page 91.

The from CCO, download the 7925CU-1.3.1.AVA

Downloads Home > Products > Collaboration Endpoints > IP Phones > Unified IP Phone 7900 Series> Unified Wireless IP Phone 7925G > IP Phone Tools and Utilities-1.3(1)

Here is the download link: https://software.cisco.com/download/release.html?mdfid=282359287&softwareid=282074239&release=1.0%284%29&relind=AVAILABLE&rellifecycle=&reltype=all

You need to rename the .AVA file to .ZIP and then run the executable inside. I am not sure whether this is available for MAC which I didn't found in CCO.

The instruction will be inside the documentation.

Run the .exe as adminstrator and before running same, also Windows 10 will automatically enable compatibility options if it detects an application that needs them, but you can also enable these compatibility options by right-clicking an application’s .exe file or shortcut, selecting Properties, clicking the Compatibility tab, and selecting a version of Windows the program worked properly on. If you’re not sure what the problem is, the “compatibility troubleshooter” can walk you through choosing optimal settings.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Shubhamoy

Thank you for the link! That is the binary I attempted to install on my Windows 10 system, but it would simply fail with no indication as to why. I ran it with elevated privileges, then through several iterations of the compatibility mode, to no avail. Did you get it to install correctly on Windows 10?

Did you ever resolve this, Toivo? What a pain. Cisco has been absolutely atrocious with software support since Windows XP.

Nope.

It gets even worse with the 8821s. There we gave up, and did the weird workaround where the docking station with an old Apple USB-Ethernet dongle allows the phones to get an IP for initial setup.

Just got it working! Boot Win10 into advanced settings mode to disable driver signature checking. The INF file was not signed.

Use the following steps to disable driver signature enforcement.
  1. Click the Start menu and select Settings.
  2. Click Update and Security.
  3. Click on Recovery.
  4. Click Restart now under Advanced Startup.
  5. Click Troubleshoot.
  6. Click Advanced options.
  7. Click Startup Settings.
  8. Click on Restart.On the Startup Settings screen press 7 or F7 to disable driver signature enforcement.
  9. Your computer will restart and you will be able to install non-digitally signed drivers. If you restart your computer again the driver signature enforcement will be re-enabled.

Install the driver as normal with the downloaded exe.

Afterwards, go to the "USB Serial Device" in Device Manager and update driver, manually pick the 7925G and you should be good.

Works like a charm, thanks!

shusarka
Level 1
Level 1

Addition to this do check this document too:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cuipph/7925g/firmware/1_3_1/english/release/notes/7925_131.html#wp205983

Hope this helps too.

Sincerely,

Shubhamoy

Has anyone got the 7925 usb dirvers.  The links appear to be broken on the cisco site and i have a client who has seven that they need support with. 

Thanks in advance 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: