Views
Helpful
Replies

Confusion about T1/E1 card

JH51928
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone,

I have two sites that have Be6k and router. One of the sites is working and operating already for 2+ years now.

The router has T1/E1 serial card installed and configured with information below

interface Serial0/3/0:23
no ip address
encapsulation hdlc
isdn switch-type primary-ni
isdn protocol-emulate network
isdn incoming-voice voice
isdn bind-l3 ccm-manager
isdn send-alerting
no cdp enable   

controller T1 0/3/0
framing esf
clock source line primary
linecode b8zs
cablelength long 0db
pri-group timeslots 1-24 service mgcp

The T1/E1 card has a cable connected to PBX.

The router is connected to TELCO T1 line on Cisco ME1200-4S-D and Cisco ME1200-4S-A.  I know that the PRI DID phone numbers came with the T1 subscription from TELCO. And this DIDs were already configured in the translation pattern>CTI route point->Call Handler.     

My question is did it bypass the T1/E1 card?

Can I configure my second site router without T1/E1 card? but how?

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

AFAIK Cisco ME1200-4S-D and Cisco ME1200-4S-A doesn't have PRI slot. might be a sip trunk from ISP. 

if you  use ISDN u need to connect it with T1/E1 card. 

Response Signature

View solution in original post

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You would need to look at your whole configuration from the ISR and CUCM to determine exactly how this is wired and configured to work, but, the T1/E1 cards need a cable that comes from the telco with the DS0s.

Yes, you can have telephony without any T1/E1 cards, you buy a SIP trunk from a provider and instead of using TDM you go full VoIP

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

your CUCM and PBX interconnect  with  ISDN technology   using T1/E1 card.  

Response Signature

6 Replies 6

AFAIK Cisco ME1200-4S-D and Cisco ME1200-4S-A doesn't have PRI slot. might be a sip trunk from ISP. 

if you  use ISDN u need to connect it with T1/E1 card. 

Response Signature

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You would need to look at your whole configuration from the ISR and CUCM to determine exactly how this is wired and configured to work, but, the T1/E1 cards need a cable that comes from the telco with the DS0s.

Yes, you can have telephony without any T1/E1 cards, you buy a SIP trunk from a provider and instead of using TDM you go full VoIP

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

JH51928
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks guys for your reply. Sorry, I'm new to telephony.

Here's how the device is connected physically

Telco Fiber cable-->Cisco ME1200-4S-D and Cisco ME1200-4S-A-->ISR-->Switch LAN

Then ISR T1/E1 card -->PBX BCM450 -->Switch LAN

In CUCM there is a gateway device configured for MGCP gateway but the cable that is plugged-in to T1/E1 port is coming from PBX not telco. 

I'm confused about how it is connected to PSTN. I don't know what I'm going to do with the second site router that does not have a T1/E1 card. 

Not sure but we probably have sip trunk from telco, I hope. I'll inquire.  

JH51928
Level 1
Level 1

I've inquired with telco and yes we have sip trunk and not pri.

I'm still confused. The T1/E1 card is configured as a device mgcp gateway in CUCM.  Would you be able to tell me why the card is connected to pbx digital trunk interface port? and what it is for?

We have PBXes in other sites too but they only uses eth port to connect to the switch. There are no sip trunk configured in the cucm for the PBXes, only route patterns (extension such as 44xx, 33xx,22xx), route list, route group, and they are associated with the mgcp gateway (T1/E1 card). 

your CUCM and PBX interconnect  with  ISDN technology   using T1/E1 card.  

Response Signature

JH51928
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks, I saw the config in the bcm.