Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Connecting CP-8961 to external SIP Node

Hello everybody,

we want to connect a CP-8961 SIP phone to an external SIP Node (sipgate.de). So we set up a TFTP-Server for the phone for the CNF.XML (see attached file) files and LOADS. After the phone downloaded the files, we can't see a connection attempt to the external sip node. Using out internal call manager (after changing the config) works pretty fine.

Did we make any brutal mistake?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Toby

6 Replies 6

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
After the phone downloaded the files,

The phone won't work because the SEPmacaddress.cnf.txt file contains some mistakes.  With Cisco phones in a non-CUCM/CUE environment if there is at least one wrong XML tag the entire file is invalid.  

<dateTemplate>10/30/2015</dateTemplate> 

This entry is incorrect.  The correct template should be "<dateTemplate>D/M/YY</dateTemplate>" or "<dateTemplate>D/M/Y</dateTemplate>".

<loadInformation>sip8961.9-2-2SR1-9</loadInformation>

Ok, so the phone is running version 9.2.  The tag "proxy>USECALLMANAGER</proxy>" and "<transportLayerProtocol>" is missing.  

Who is doing NAT?  

Does the ISP support ALG?

Is the phone getting the correct IP address?

Is the username & password correct?  

Was the phone, at least, able to load the correct firmware?

Go HERE.  I've posted a known working 8961 SEPmacaddress.cnf.xml file.  Use the file as a template.

Please don't forget to rate our useful posts.  

Hello Leo,

thanks for your response and advices. I corrected the config file (s. Attachments).

Who is doing NAT?  

- Our Cisco ASA 5505, i've checked the rules already. I case the connection was intitated from inside, all Ports are allowed for communication.

Does the ISP support ALG?

- Sorry, at the moment i don't know whats that is.

Is the phone getting the correct IP address?

- Yes, it's connected to our training VLAN (address allocation via DHCP)

Is the username & password correct?

- I hope so, i got the credentials from "sipgate.de".

Was the phone, at least, able to load the correct firmware?

- Yes, a tftp server is up and running in this VLAN. Using Wireshark and the log, I can see the download of the configs everytime. During the "first" boot of the phone I could see the download of the firmware followed by a reboot.

Nevertheless after the phone performs a DNS query to get the a record, I can' t see further communication from the phone to the external sip service (see Wireshark log). Set filter to "ip.addr == 10.1.14.101".

Best regards and thanks in advance for your help,

Toby

I looked at the status log of the phone. There it says (I have to translate it (rough) because the used locale is german):

"Error: Validating Config"

How to get rid of this error?

Status Update:

I checked the SEP<mac-address>.cnf.xml one more time. I think I made some mistakes. Now the phone proceeded and started downloading the dialplan.xml file.

Then I changed the following line from

<transportLayerProtocol>4</transportLayerProtocol>

to

<transportLayerProtocol>2</transportLayerProtocol>

4 in this case stands for TCP using this image file. 2 stands for "UDP preferred". Now the phone is performing the sip handshake. Although the server is still rejecting the request, it feels like progress.

Our Cisco ASA 5505, i've checked the rules already.

That's not what I meant.  Talk to the voice service provider (VSP) if they support NAT or not.  If they do, then you need to turn NAT-ing off at your side.

Sorry, at the moment i don't know whats that is.

Talk to your VSP if they support ALG or not.  If they don't, you need to ensure you can disable ALG from your side.

"Error: Validating Config"

This means the MACaddress.cnf.xml file contains, at least, one XML tag with incorrect values.

<transportLayerProtocol>2</transportLayerProtocol>

If you're going to use this value, what is the transport layer protocol from the VSP?  Ask them. 

Hi guys, i also tried it with my CP-8961.
On Status MSG on CP Phone I got some Errors.

I try to update it with Tftpd64 by Ph. Jounin

Updating Trust List

No Trust List installed - I know i can ignore

SEPXXXXcnf.xml(TFTP) - seems to load config file from here

VPN Error: VPN is not Configured - I dont want to configure VPN, because my external SIP Provider dont support VPN

File Not Found: /gh-sip.jar - I dont see on my downloaded zip file "cmterm-8961.9-4-2SR4-1_REL" that file

Error Updating Local

File Not Found: /g4-tones.xml

Error Updating Local

Updating Trust List

.. starts from begining again

Can someone help me pls?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: