Views
Helpful
Replies

Connection failed using 7921G Wireless IP Phone and Ruckus Access Point

TrickTrick
Level 3
Level 3

Hello Everyone,

I'm trying to connect a wireless phone 7921G to our existing wifi AP's (Ruckus R310), Created a unique SSID for it without any security (Open wifi without password) but couldn't connect to it, and shows Connection failed

went through different options and it seems like the security methods existing in the phone are not compatible with those in the AP ( please take a look at the screenshots attached)

for a test purpose, I tried to connect it to my own phone without any security and it worked

Does any of you went through the same situation before  ?

Thank you

12 Replies 12

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@TrickTrick wrote:

Created a unique SSID for it without any security (Open wifi without password) but couldn't connect to it, and shows Connection failed

I'm no Ruckus user but if the phone can't connect to an OPEN SSID then I'd look at the settings of the Ruckus SSID.  

Can a smartphone, for instance, connect to this open SSID?

yes, no issue. The problem is that I don't know how the AP behaves, as you can see in the screenshot the SSID is open without encryption. enabled 2,4 GHz and 5GHz, enabled one of them and disabled the other... doesn't matter ... didn't work

And what about the phone? What settings are there on the phone?

in the WLAN configuration, I used the same SSID created (respecting upercase and lower case characters), security mode : Open and that's it, usually it works like that.. but with this AP it doesn't somehow

What firmware is the phone running on?

This phone is using the following firmware :
App Load ID
CP7921G-1.2.LOADS

Boot Load ID
BL-P203-6065E201

WLAN Driver ID

WLAN Firmware ID

Tried to download other Firmwares, but couldn't find them in cisco.com, it seems like this phone is no longer supported https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collaboration-endpoints/unified-ip-phone-7900-series/index.html#~stickynav=3

That firmware is the default firmware when the phone came out of manufacturing. I wouldn't be caught dead using that firmware. Roaming didn't improve until 1.4(3).
Since you're a Cisco partner, you may need to "reach out" inside and see if they can furnish the latest firmware for the phone.

Ok i will try that, do you think that the firmware can change the security methods supported ? imo this is the main issue between this IP phone and this specific Ruckus AP

@TrickTrick wrote:
Ok i will try that, do you think that the firmware can change the security methods supported ? imo this is the main issue between this IP phone and this specific Ruckus AP

Well, if a smartphone or tablet can join a Ruckus AP on an OPEN SSID then I'm going to have a close look at that 7921G.  If a firmware update can fix it, then why not?

alright sir, thank you very much for your time and effort to answer my questions

Let us know how you go. Someone might find this thread of some use.

not sure if I can do that since there was no contract number for that phone, it was purchased as a single item

well, i'll try anyway with other contract numbers

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: