cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CP-7931g in upgrading mode - Don't know IP

buddieipx
Level 1
Level 1

First off, I'm sorry if this post is in the wrong area, I'm new at this.

I have a CP-6931g phone which was in static ip address config when I received it used. I didn't pay close attention to the address settings before did a reset command (123456789*0#) and now the phone is stuck  saying "upgrading) and waiting to download a file from tftp.

I have no idea what the subnet was for sure and have spent hours trying different subnets and watching Wireshark/IP Scanner with no luck.

I am not worried about it as this phone is worth about 20$ but I am the kind of guy that hates just saying "oh well"! It will bug me, I like to fix things!

Am I right in believing that there is no way to scan anything other than the subnet I have set my nic to ?

Thanks for anyone who is bored and has time to mess with my junk.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

Does this mean that all switch ports are down by default?

<Answer> : On a PoE switch all the ports are up by default. When you connect a phone to one of the ports, it transfers the power to the phone. You can use the following command on the switch to check the total power allocated and remaining:

show power inline

Can I simply replace the files on the removable flash to upgrade/downgrade phone firmware? Will the phone always update from flash if the files are different?

<Answer> If the phone is stuck in upgrading the firmware, that means it is trying to download a firmware which is specified in the configuration file of the phone. If the phone is unable to find the same then it stuck on that screen.

When you factory reset the phone, it loose the existing firmware and will have only the basic firmware which come from factory. So, next time if you are planning to factory reset the IP phones with CME, make sure that flash has firmware(which is specified in the config file) in it for the phone so that it can upgrade it without any issues.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Hi,

Once you factory reset your ip-phone it drops the IP Address and all the settings, the reason your IP-Phone is stuck is probably because its unable to receive an IP Address from a dhcp server with correct settings.

No need to know the old subnet, you can assign the phone to any subnet that can be reachabe call-manager.

Sample:

Create a DHCP pool for IP phones:

ip dhcp excluded-address 10.10.202.1 10.10.202.49
ip dhcp excluded-address 10.10.202.70 10.10.202.254
!
ip dhcp pool VoicePhones
network 10.10.202.0 255.255.255.0 (Voice Vlan)
default-router 10.10.202.1    <<< Voice VLAN
option 150 ip 10.10.110.3     <<< Call-Manager

Currently this is the addressing. See attachment.

Thanks for your reply.

I can see the phones mac and details when i use:

"show ephones"

but it says ip = 0.0.0.0 so it is not getting an ip yet.

Make sure you assign the phone to vlan with a default gateway is 10.1.1.1

you can find out the interface vlan by exacuting the below command and finding the interface vlan with that ip address: show ip interface brief

then reboot the phone, if its still not getting an ip then debug ip dhcp packets

Hi there Zekeria. Thanks again for spending time on this.

I have learned a lot today!

I found a poe injector and used it to connect the phone directly to my computer and then installed a windows dhcp server utility as well as a tftp server.

This allowed me to (after I learned how it all worked) get the phone to pick up an ip and grab some sccp files via tftp. So the phone is back in action!

I appreciate you letting me know that the phone loses the static addressing upon reset.

After this I knew my UC520 was definitely not connecting to the phone so after searching some helpful Cisco Community pots I used the following:

interface fa0/1/0    <<the poe port which the phone is connected to

switchport voice vlan 100   <<the vlan for voice by default on the UC520

after that the phone started to transfer another set of files from flash, rebooted and registered.

This brings 2 questions up for me:

Can I simply replace the files on the removable flash to upgrade/downgrade phone firmware? Will the phone always update from flash if the files are different?

Hi,

<Answer> : On a PoE switch all the ports are up by default. When you connect a phone to one of the ports, it transfers the power to the phone. You can use the following command on the switch to check the total power allocated and remaining:

show power inline

<Answer> If the phone is stuck in upgrading the firmware, that means it is trying to download a firmware which is specified in the configuration file of the phone. If the phone is unable to find the same then it stuck on that screen.

When you factory reset the phone, it loose the existing firmware and will have only the basic firmware which come from factory. So, next time if you are planning to factory reset the IP phones with CME, make sure that flash has firmware(which is specified in the config file) in it for the phone so that it can upgrade it without any issues.

CChambleeJr1961
Level 1
Level 1

I'm having the same issue with a 7931G that I bought used.  I have a voice lab system with three working 7960 IP phones.  Trying to add the 7931.  Have it added as ephone, with MAC specified.  The phone was stuck at the "registering" screen.  I checked the settings, and saw that it had in fact pulled an IP address from DHCP.  I reset the phone via reset code, now it's just sitting there with dark indicators and dark screen, just like it was powered off, but the LAN port shows active/green.  According to the router's debug tftp messages, I can see that the phone is successfully pulling the "term31.default.loads" file from the tftp server, repeatedly doing so about every five minutes, but it never looks for any of the remaining .sbn firmware files.  They are all there on the server.  The whole time the phone screen stays dark, looks dead, yet activity is occurring in the background, obviously.  Why is the phone stuck on the term31.default.loads file?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: