Views
Helpful
Replies

CP-7965G Won't Boot after Reset

taylornelson
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all

I found that my 7965 had a password on it (I purchased 2nd hand from a supplier as "refurbished")

I tried doing a hard reset by holding # on boot, then entering 123456789*0#. It went through the sequence and said "Upgrading" and showed the MAC address. After that I get a white screen, with the Cisco logo, and nothing else happens, it just keeps cycling through this.

Please help me

8 Replies 8

pmvillarama
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

That is a normal behavior when you reset an IP Phone to factory default. It's just that you've missed to check the network environment requirements. Try setting up a DHCP server with option 150 config. this will point the IP Phone to TFTP server where it can download neeeded frimware files to boot up.

1) Have tftpd32 running as tftp server or CUCM. Set up dhcp server with option 150

2) boot the phone and hold down the # key until the buttons cycle orange

3) press 1234567890*0#

4) IP Phone should have correct network address from DHCP in step 1

5) the phone will donwload the image from the tftp server/option 150

Btw, where and how much did you buy it? 

Regards,

Paul

Rate if helps

Hi

Thanks for the advice. I do not actually have the firmware, because I do not have a service contract with Cisco, and it will take me a few days to get one setup.

Anyway, I am very new to Cisco, I have a pretty good understanding of networking etc, but not sure how to setup TFTP. I have a Mac, and I know there is a TFTP client for Mac.

Could you help me with the setup?

Thanks

Aaron Harrison
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

After a factory reset, you need to ensure you have a network set up for full automatic startup of the phone:

1) Proper DHCP configuration, including IP option 150 set to the IP of a TFTP server

2) The TFTP server in the IP option should have a full firmware set for that model of phone (including the term65.default.loads file)

Regards

Aaron

Please rate helpful posts...

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

Aaron Harrison
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Taylor

A TFTP Client is no use; TFTP clients 'get' files from a TFTP server. The phone is a TFTP client.

There are many TFTP servers you can get for free. Chances are that if you are using this handset with a soft PBX of some sort, that it has one built in. Since you're on a mac I can't offer any recommendations personally.

There's an article here which goes through a detailed step-by-step: http://www.adrianandgenese.com/blogger/tag/7965/

Regards

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

Hi

For some reason, I couldn't see the post you just made, I deleted one of my posts, and then it appeared ??

Anyway, I didn't mean 'client' Mac is a UNIX based system, so it has TFTP already as a function, it just needs an app so that it has a GUI (which I have)

So basically, I need to setup the TFTP server, place the files in it, turn on the phone, and it will find the files, and update itself?

Hi Taylor

As stated above:

DHCP - must supply Option 150, to tell the phone where the TFTP server is

TFTP - must suppy firmware files, including the term65.default.loads appropriate to the firmware set you have

Aaron

Hi

Sorry for the late reply, I forgot to reply to this the other day :S

As I said, I am relatively new to this, so I know know how to setup a DHCP server that supplies option 150 - I don't even understand that "supplies option 150" means...

I will have the up to date firmware files as soon as my SmartNET contract is activated

So, if you could either help me with the above, or point me to someone who can, that would be great

Thanks

This is old but I am in the same boat.  how the heck do we set this thing up??  Someone please tell me why in 2013 my $300 phone with 2 eth ports cant just go download the damn data from cisco and boot up?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: