Views
Helpful
Replies

CP-8945 Firmware updates and phone function

ReadersUK
Level 2
Level 2

Hi

I am piloting a number of CP-8945 phones and considering deploying them in my organisation and wanted to throw this discussion out there. I have the following issues and wondered if anyone from CISCO or a partner has any feedback regarding firmware updates.

The phones i am using are CP-8945 running SCCP and firmware 9-2-2-0

The issues below are preventing me from deploying the phones to VIP's in my organisation

1. Can not change background image

2. When in corporate directory the the exit softkey moves around, if you try this on a 7900 phone the exit key stays in one place so you just press the button 3 times and the screen is cleared. The 8900 exit key moves on the 2nd press and the users complain the directory is slow, its a small point but could be easily fixed

3.Voice cut through is delayed on answer so "hello" is often missed.

4. when dialling on a 7900 phone it shows the last numbers dialled as you press the buttons, which is a nice feature, 8900 do not do this.

5. You cant seem to change the function of the 4 lines keys, i.e cant make them speed dial keys like a 7900.

I would be interested in what anyone else has experienced with these phones.

regards

Colin

13 Replies 13

Gordon Ross
Level 9
Level 9

Have you uploaded the correct image file format to your TFTP servers ? The 89xx/99xx phones require different image files. (Differing resolution and colour depth)

2. When in corporate directory the the exit softkey moves around, if you try this on a 7900 phone the exit key stays in one place so you just press the button 3 times and the screen is cleared. The 8900 exit key moves on the 2nd press and the users complain the directory is slow, its a small point but could be easily fixed

The softkeys on the 89xx/99xx phones can't be changed like that can on the 79xx series phones. :-(

I've noticed no difference in speed between the 79xx and 89/99xx phones. (I do find the 79xx slow as it is)

4. when dialling on a 7900 phone it shows the last numbers dialled as you press the buttons, which is a nice feature, 8900 do not do this.

Hmm. Mine do this...

5. You cant seem to change the function of the 4 lines keys, i.e cant make them speed dial keys like a 7900.

I can on my system.

GTG

Please rate all helpful posts.

Hi Thanks for the feedback

regarding th background image, i simply dont see the option to change the image on the phone, if i look in preferences its not there? am i looking in the wrong place?

Your answer to question 5 is interesting.

Can i ask what version of callmanager are you using, i am on ver 8.0(3)

regarding th background image, i simply dont see the option to change the image on the phone, if i look in preferences its not there? am i looking in the wrong place?

No. Settings->Preferences->Wallpaper will call up the list. If there are no wallpaper files on your TFTP server(s) then you'll get nothing.

Go to your TFTP Server -> OS Administration -> Software Upgrades -> TFTP File Management.

Search by Directory, and set the path to be "Desktops/640x480x24". This will show all the wallpapers installed on your server.

Your answer to question 5 is interesting.

Can i ask what version of callmanager are you using, i am on ver 8.0(3)

I'm on 8.6.2. I'm sure it worked when I was on 8.0 too.

To change these, you'll need to create a new line button template:

CCMAdmin -> Device -> Device Settings -> Phone Button Template.

Search for a template name containing "8945". Select it, Hit the copy button, and alter to your hearts content.

GTG

Hi Gordon

Thanks for that, i did manage to change buttons using template so thanks for that.

With regard to the other issues, i checked wallpaper in "Desktops/640x480x24" and they are all there. Ihave two CM clusters both on 8.0(3) and 8945's behave the same on both systems, no wallpaper option and no last number dialled when you press the buttons so suspect its my version of CM doing this. We'll be upgrading in the next few months so hopefully those issues will go away.

Regards

Colin

When you say that no wallpapers are shown on the handset, is it that none appear immediately ? What happens if you wait a minute or two ? (Yes, really a minute or two) Do they start to appear then ?

GTG

Hi

You go into preferences on the phone and the wallpaper option is not there. All i can see is Ringtone, Brightness, Camera settings and Bluetooth

colin

Ihave two CM clusters both on 8.0(3) and 8945's behave the same on both systems, no wallpaper option and no last number dialled when you press the buttons

When you press the Settings button, do you get the Call History Application/Option ?

GTG

Hi

yes i get the call history option when i press the settings button

I've found mention in the CCMAdmin help pages about restricting access to the Wallpaper setting. But I couldn't find the actual setting in CCMAdmin.

As to the dialing bringing up the list of past numbers: I could only reproduce that by disabling access to the Call History app.

Sorry, but I'm out of ideas.

GTG

No problem, i appreciate the replies. I just heard CISCO are about to release a new firmware version for the 8900 phone 9-3-3, it may even be tomorrow

We are running cm 8.6.1 and 8945 sccp 9-2-2 as well and have no background option as well as a short delay in audio when phone is answered.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

jbburks
Level 5
Level 5

This is only available in 9.2.(3) firmware which was just release last week. Once you load that, you will be able to select from several different colour wallpapers.

The softkeys move around. This is a crummy part of the 89xx User Interface.

We have noticed that on 9.2.(2) also. It's frustrating. The UI is supposed to be 50% faster in 9.2.(3). We will be testing this, but don't know yet if it is fixed.

We are using the buttons on the left side for speed dial and 'Do Not Disturb' even in 9.2.(2). Works fine for us.

cbyington
Level 5
Level 5

Does anyone know if the delay issue was fixed in the newer firmware yet?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: