Views
Helpful
Replies

Creating Hunt Group Voicemail Mailbox Accounts

Sergio Fare
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have this puzzling issue that for the life of me I cannot figure out. I searched high and low to no avail and wondering if there is anyone out there that knows how to do this. How do I go about creating voicemail mailbox accounts for hunt groups?

We are running CUCM 8.6 / Unity Connection 8.6.

Our users are automatically synced with Active Directory through LDAP Directory. I can create a user in Active Directory and have it sync and be 'Active' in CUCM just fine. The problem is, I cannot get the account to sync with Unity Connection. I know the reason; it is because the user is missing a Primary Extension. However, this will be a hunt group voicemail mailbox and will not need an extension. I just need to be able to give it a mailbox number. I cannot create the mailbox in Unity Connection because it is set to sync with CUCM.

Any insight would be highly appreciated.

Thank you!

Sergio.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Sergio

This does sound like BE5K.

There are a couple of ways you can get round this dependant on what you want to do.

The easiest way I've generally done this is via a Call Handler.

• Create a Call Hander. Record a greeting, and set the after greeting action to "Take Message".
  • Create a distribution list and assign the user mailboxes that you want to receive copies of any message.
  • Assign the distribution list to the Call Handler message settings.
  • Call Forward your hunt pilot to voicemail on busy / not answer
  • Create a call forward routing rule to send calls forwarded from the hunt pilot to the new Call Handler.

HTH.

Barry Hesk

Intrinsic Network Solutions

PS If you *really* want to create a user mailbox, rather a call handler, do the following:

1. Create a new user device profile with a dummy extension number (e.g. 12345)

2. Create a new user account on CUCM and assign the UDP to the user account.

3. Set the primary extension number of the CUCM user as the dummy extension number (12345).

4. You should now be able to import the user into CUC via LDAP sync and create a mailbox.

5. Edit the mailbox and add the hunt pilot number as an alternate extension.

(note CUCM will not let you add the hunt pilot's extension number as the user's extension number which is why you create a dummy extension number for the user).

Both this, and my previous method work on BE5K.

Barry

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

jeffmastry
Level 1
Level 1

Create the account in Unity and give it an extension to match the hunt group.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Unity Connection can have local, non-synchronized mailboxes (unlike CUCM which is all or nothing until 9.0(1)). You can create a local mailbox, set the primary extension on it to be the Hunt Pilot, and then configure the Hunt Pilot to CFNA/CFB to the Voicemail Pilot number with a CSS that can reach it.

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify helpful or correct answers.

HI Jonathan,

Do you have a link with more information about how to create local voicemail mailbox in Cisco Unity? I've created an extension and assigned to another 3 users to receive some calls coming from a phone tree, now I want to activate the voicemail of that extension and I don't know how to do it.

I will appreciate any link that you can provide.

Sergio Fare
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you for your responses.

The problem is that in Unity Connection, I do not have the option to manually create a user with a mailbox. Not in Bulk Administration or under User. Would I need to turn off LDAP synching just so that I could create these accounts? The thing is, there is no way for me to turn that off because I do not see the LDAP Setup section under System Settings.

Sadly, this is wrecking my brain.

Sergio Fare
Level 1
Level 1

This is a friendly bump. Anyone have any insight on how I can create a mailbox in Unity when I am not given the option because we have LDAP sync in place?

Is this a BE5k installation? That's the only explination I can think of for the lack of LDAP under your System Settings menu. If it is I believe you need to add mailboxes to users from CUCM End Users.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucmbe/admin/8_6_1/ccmcfg/b08user.html#wp1097507

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucmbe/admin/8_6_1/ccmsys/a04direc.html

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify helpful or correct answers.

Hi Sergio

This does sound like BE5K.

There are a couple of ways you can get round this dependant on what you want to do.

The easiest way I've generally done this is via a Call Handler.

• Create a Call Hander. Record a greeting, and set the after greeting action to "Take Message".
  • Create a distribution list and assign the user mailboxes that you want to receive copies of any message.
  • Assign the distribution list to the Call Handler message settings.
  • Call Forward your hunt pilot to voicemail on busy / not answer
  • Create a call forward routing rule to send calls forwarded from the hunt pilot to the new Call Handler.

HTH.

Barry Hesk

Intrinsic Network Solutions

PS If you *really* want to create a user mailbox, rather a call handler, do the following:

1. Create a new user device profile with a dummy extension number (e.g. 12345)

2. Create a new user account on CUCM and assign the UDP to the user account.

3. Set the primary extension number of the CUCM user as the dummy extension number (12345).

4. You should now be able to import the user into CUC via LDAP sync and create a mailbox.

5. Edit the mailbox and add the hunt pilot number as an alternate extension.

(note CUCM will not let you add the hunt pilot's extension number as the user's extension number which is why you create a dummy extension number for the user).

Both this, and my previous method work on BE5K.

Barry

Barry,

You are my savior!!! This worked!!! I just felt an indescribable amount of weight off my shoulders. Thank you so much for your detailed steps!!! A+++

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: