Juan Luis.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Juan Luis,

I think you may be hitting this;

Field Notice: FN - 63255 - MCS-7825-I2 & IBM x306m, BIOS 1.42 & 1.43 error prevents a system from booting if rebooted after October 1, 2009

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/ts/fn/632/fn63255.html

Hope this helps!

Rob

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

sebastiandm
Level 1
Level 1

What specific hardware are you trying to install on ?

MCS 7825I2

And try to install 5.1.3 because the system restart repeatedly.

Do you know where can I find boot-time utilities for ibm server?

Regards,

Juan Luis.

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Juan Luis,

I think you may be hitting this;

Field Notice: FN - 63255 - MCS-7825-I2 & IBM x306m, BIOS 1.42 & 1.43 error prevents a system from booting if rebooted after October 1, 2009

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/ts/fn/632/fn63255.html

Hope this helps!

Rob

I am confused why 5.13 that rev is very unstable from a DB and app stand point. At least go to 6.X.

Also if this is a lab you can play around on VMWare but Cisco will not support it.

Thanks Rob, you have saved my life!!

My customer have 2 servers in cluster, one is dead and the other have the affected bios version, so I am very worried.

One question, in the FN and the bug description I see a confusion between the fixed versions: which version must I install, the 5.1(3g) or the ES 5.1(3.7109.1)?

The installation of 5.1.3 fails. And the upgrade to 5.1.(3g) during install of 5.1.1 fails also.

Which is your advice, please.

Regards,

Juan Luis.

Hi Juan Luis,

Glad to be of some small help here my friend! I think that you would need to follow these steps (by your trouble description)

Solution for Recovering a Non-Booting Server That HAS NOT BEEN Upgraded to a Fixed Version

If an affected server is in a failed state without being upgraded to a fixed version already, restoring the server requires a combination of steps using both the FWUCD to recover the server, followed by upgrading to a fixed Application version, and repeat usage of the FWUCD.

1. Download the FWUCD image (linked above), burn it onto a CD/DVD, and follow the instructions in the Readme (linked above) to apply the upgrades contained in the FWUCD. Once the upgrades are complete, remove the FWUCD.

2. After the system reboots, press "F1" to boot into the BIOS Setup Menu. Also make sure that BIOS version shows up as "1.45" or later.

NOTE: If you missed out on opportunity to press "F1," IMMEDIATELY power cycle the system to restart, or else it will boot the hard disk and re-flash BIOS back to an affected BIOS version, returning the server to a failed state. If this occurs, you will need to restart the recovery process in Step 1 above.

3. Select Date and Time option in the BIOS Setup Menu. Change the System date to a date BEFORE October 1, 2009 date. Save settings and exit from BIOS setup. (The date is corrected later, either manually or by the NTP service.)

4. Allow the system to reboot, and the Application will re-flash the BIOS to an older version.

NOTE: This is allowable since the System date you changed in the step above is BEFORE October 1, 2009.

5. After the BIOS Re-flash completes, the system will reboot again. Allow the system to boot to the Application fully.

6. Upgrade the Application to a fixed version as indicated in the table, following the Upgrade steps specific to that application. Do not switch versions yet, though.

NOTE: You should select the option "DO NOT REBOOT AFTER UPGRADE." This will allow ample opportunity to re-insert the FWUCD again before you switch versions and reboot.

7. This step varies if you are using NTP. See Step 7A if you ARE using NTP. See Step 7B if you are NOT using NTP. If you do not know, follow the directions on Step 7A.

7A. If you are using NTP or do not know, before switching versions to the upgraded image and before allowing the server to reboot, insert the FWUCD again. The FWUCD must be used again because of two reasons:

The BIOS was downgraded as the affected version booted before the application upgrade occurred.

After the Affected version booted fully, the NTP service reset the System Date in the BIOS to the current Date.

Thus, the FWUCD must be used to again upgrade the BIOS, but another date change is not necessary. Once the FWUCD is inserted, allow the system to Switch Versions and reboot. The server will boot to the FWUCD. Once the BIOS update is complete, remove the FWUCD, and allow the system to reboot.

7B. If you are not using NTP, you should not need to re-apply the FWUCD. Allow the server to Switch Versions and Reboot. As the server reboots, it will upgrade the BIOS. AFTER the BIOS upgrade is complete, change the System Date back to the current date.

Now, both the system board and Application share the same BIOS version information, the System Date is current, and the server will be fully functional.

NOTE: Please be aware that if you ever switch versions back to an affected version, the BIOS will be downgraded, and the system will require a slightly modified recovery procedure. The only difference will be that instead of applying an upgrade image, you would just need to Switch Versions since the upgrade is already installed. The FWUCD would still need to be applied twice as noted in the above steps.

5.1(3g) = 5.1.3.8000-4 and later

Hope this helps!

Rob

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: