Views
Helpful
Replies

Cross-Server Logon

jaameshaale
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am a bit confused about what cross-server logon offers when multiple unity connection locations (each with it's own phone system) are configured into an intralink site. 

Let's say we have two clusters:

UCxN_ClusterA in Chicago (VM Pilot:123)

UCxN_ClusterB in Florida  (VM Pilot:456)

My understanding is that with cross-server logon, when UCxN_ClusterA user is in Florida, he can dial 123 from his ip phone and he will be connected to his UCxN_ClusterA taken to his voicemail.  Correct? 

But wouldn't that happen anyways whether cross-server logon is configured or not?

Thanks

James

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

No it would not as UCON will not look for remote users. Once you enter your extension to sign in if that extension is not on local UCON you would hear an error withou this feature turned on.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

View solution in original post

FWIW, my understanding of intrasite networking on its own is that CUC systems are able to share their directory such that users in one location can dial out or address messages to users in another location; however, this is independent of logon capabilities (as Chris noted above).

Hailey

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

No it would not as UCON will not look for remote users. Once you enter your extension to sign in if that extension is not on local UCON you would hear an error withou this feature turned on.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

FWIW, my understanding of intrasite networking on its own is that CUC systems are able to share their directory such that users in one location can dial out or address messages to users in another location; however, this is independent of logon capabilities (as Chris noted above).

Hailey

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hey James,

Wow! Answers from two of my fave NetPros, Chris & Hailey +5

to both here for their good responses!

I just thought i would add the Cisco description of this feature;

Cross-Server Sign-In in Cisco Unity Connection 8.x

The cross-server sign-in feature enables users who are calling from  outside the organization to call the same number regardless of which  server they are homed on, and they are transferred to the applicable  home server to sign in. If you do not enable cross-server sign-in, users  need to call the phone number of their home server to sign in.

The process for a cross-server sign-in call is as follows:

1. A  user calls the server configured for cross-server sign-in. The user is  identified by the calling number or is asked to enter his or her ID.

2. The  server looks up the caller ID in the database to determine whether the  account is homed on the local server or on a networked server.

ā€“If the user account is homed on the local server, the sign-in proceeds as usual.

ā€“If  the user account is homed on another server, the conversation plays a  "One moment please" prompt (if configured to do so), puts the user on  hold, and calls the user home server by using the same port that the  user called in on. Note that if the user is calling from his or her  primary or alternate extension, the "One moment please" prompt is  typically the first prompt that the user hears.

When the receiving server answers, the originating server sends a  sequence of DTMF tones that identifies the call as a cross-server  sign-in.

3. The receiving location responds with a sequence of DTMF tones.

4. The  originating location hands off the call to the receiving server for  processing. The conversation on the receiving server prompts for the  user password. At this point, the behavior is as though the user had  called the receiving server directly.

The intended use of this feature is limited to users calling in from  outside your organization. Although cross-server sign-in will transfer  internal calls to the home server, doing so for a large number of users  will increase the load on the servers. Therefore, user phones should  always be configured so that the "Messages" or voicemail speed-dial  button calls the home server of the user directly. When moving a user  account from one server to another, update the phone system  configuration for the user accordingly.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/connection/8x/networking/guide/8xcucnet050.html#wp1053291

Cheers!

Rob

"Always movin' ahead and never lookin' back" - Springsteen

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: