Views
Helpful
Replies

CUBE and DS0

maciej_wilk
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Does anyone have a document describing sizing guidelines for simultaneous CUBE sessions and TDM DS0s?

Lets say I need 300 CUBE sessions and 120 DS0s.

2921 supports 400 CUBE sessions and 240 DSOs but will it support both numbers simultaneously? Or should I go for 2951?

Kind regards

Maciek

6 Replies 6

acampbell
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Maciek

Not sure what DS0 have to do with CUBE as it is for IP like H323 to SIP or SIP to SIP etc.

Anyway look at this link re CUBE. There is good info here

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/voicesw/ps6790/gatecont/ps5640/CUBE_technical_product_overview_presentation.pdf

Perhaps it is a voice gateway you need for TDM support.

For a gateway you can use DSP calculator to see if your choice f product is fit for purpose

You need CCO access http://www.cisco.com/web/applicat/dsprecal/dsp_calc.html

HTH

Alex

Regards, Alex. Please rate useful posts.

Hi Alex,

Yes, I need a voice gateway that will also provide CUBE sessions.

The point is that the scalability numbers provided in the data sheet probably do not acquire for any additional functionalities.

So if it says that 400 CUBE sessions and 240 DS0s are supported it probably does not mean that they are supported simultaneously.

That is why I was looking for some sizing guidelines.

Kind regards

Maciek

Maciek,

Thanks for the update.

So you need a router that can support 240 DS0s so that is 10 T1s

Using the ISR-G2 codec calculator just as an example

Router: 2951

IOS: 15.1(4)M

DSP Modules Required:

PVDM3-256: 3

DSP Module Allocation:

Router Slot 0: 726 Voice (95%) 42 Available (5%)

PVDM Slot 0/0: PVDM3-256 PVDM Slot 0/1: PVDM3-256

PVDM Slot 0/2: PVDM3-256

Router Slot 1: 

Router Slot 2:   

Router Slot 3:   

Router Slot 4: 

Call Volume Allocation:

Router Slot 0 Low Med High 

Slot 0/0: VWIC3-4MFT-T1/E1(T1)   96

Slot 0/1: VWIC3-4MFT-T1/E1(T1)   96

Slot 0/2: VWIC3-2MFT-T1/E1(T1)   48

I included 100 sessions of high complexity transcoding

You would need to try the calcultor yourself

Good luck

HTH

Alex

Regards, Alex. Please rate useful posts.

I know the DSP calculator.

What I mean is the router performance - if it supports the 120 DS0s or 240DS0s will it also be able to support 300 CUBE sessions at the same time?

Kind regards

Maciek

No, most of those numbers indicate the ISR will be doing just one role at a time, if you were doing also MTP, XCODER or both those CUBE numbers would also go down. Also it depends on whether you are doing pass-thru or flow-around.

There are no calculators to give you exactly what platform you need based on this and that, too many factors to consider. Just do some basic match to do the sizing based on the numbers we provide.

Lets say I need 300 CUBE sessions and 120 DS0s.

2921  supports 400 CUBE sessions and 240 DSOs but will it support both numbers  simultaneously? Or should I go for 2951?

300 CUBE means 75% of the CPU we consider to be safe and provide good performance, meaning there's only 25% available for DS0s. So you could have 60 DS0s.

HTH

java

If this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Thanks for the answer.

I believe that the numbers provided in the data sheet are at 75 % of the CPU already so the sizing would be a bit different but thanks anyway!

Maciek

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: