Views
Helpful
Replies

CUBE behind NAT(ASA)

Geo Gon
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all, 

A have a CUBE directly connected to a SIP ITSP, there is no firewall between the ITSP and the CUBE. 

Is it possible to place a Cisco ASA between the CUBE and ITSP? Any ideas on the config? 

Thanks 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Geovani,

as far as I am aware, Cisco has no best practice that stipulates that a CUBE cannot be behind a ASA/Firewall. or that it has to be behind a firewall.  

If you do sit it behind a FW/ASA it is easier to implement security towards your CUBE. The implication is that it might break SIP signalling if you are not careful because of NAT and deep packet inspection.

so really, there is no wrong or right here.

Please remember to rate useful posts, by clicking on the stars below.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Gordon Ross
Level 9
Level 9

You could an ASA in front of the CUBE, but why...?

GTG

Please rate all helpful posts.

Hi Gordon, 

I have a client who is changing their network design so they can have an ASA between CUBE and provider.  What is Cisco's best practice? 

Geovani,

as far as I am aware, Cisco has no best practice that stipulates that a CUBE cannot be behind a ASA/Firewall. or that it has to be behind a firewall.  

If you do sit it behind a FW/ASA it is easier to implement security towards your CUBE. The implication is that it might break SIP signalling if you are not careful because of NAT and deep packet inspection.

so really, there is no wrong or right here.

Please remember to rate useful posts, by clicking on the stars below.