Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CUBE dial peer vs routtern pattern UCM

Hello Friends,

Topology: UCM>Trunk>MGCP>SRST CUBE GW>SIP Trunk> ITSP.

I wanted to discuss about dial plan on SIP Trunk CUBE GW and UCM server using MGCP as control protocol.
I understand you set up all routtern patterns on UCM under MGCP protocol, so you should only set up one or two standard dial plans on CUBE GW (MGCP). However, I have always seen CUBE GW has all detailed dial plans by dial peers. Is it possible to set up Trunk and MGCP to the CUBE from UCM?
Should I set up all detailed dial plans on CUBE GW and the same detailed route patterns on UCM server?

"UCM server (all routern patterns as SIP Trunk) >> CUBE Gateway (all the same detailed dial peers)".

8 Replies 8

Hi Claudio.

Well.. with mgcp you control vg's physical interfaces and the only point where you can configure diaplan is cucm.

With Cube you setup a sip trunk between CUCM and CUBE and dialplan have to be defined on both Cucm and Cube.

The granularity of dialplan can be defined also on both but, we usually define it on CUCM cause we decide what type of destination user can dial through CSS.

Of course on Cube we have to refine the call rounting in case of multiple call paths

HTH

Regards

Carlo

Please rate all helpful posts "The more you help the more you learn"

Carlo,

Thank you for your answer. Then I´ll set up all dial plans in both of them (CUBE and UCM).

Can I add the same ISR gateway as SIP Trunk and MGCP on UCM?

I think you can´t add the same ISR, as MGCP and SIP Trunk, on the same UCM. I haven´t seen it in any implementation. If you would have some example about it. I´m working with the UCM 9.1.2 version.

Let me know if I´m wrong. 

Hi Claudio

>> Yes, you can very well do it. However the Telco has to be some kind of TDM (I doubt MGCP can be added as a GW if the Telco hand off is a VoIP Dial-Peer), please try to add an MGCP GW, in the system and see if it allows it (I am away from a CCM, right now).

I think you can´t add the same ISR, as MGCP and SIP Trunk, on the same UCM. I haven´t seen it in any implementation. If you would have some example about it. I´m working with the UCM 9.1.2 version.

>> Yes, you can add the same ISR as MGCP GW and as a Destination for your SIP Trunk (CUBE). You may have not seen it, because there is no advantage in it. Secondly, as I mentioned in the above text, I doubt you may be able to terminate VoIP Dial-Peer as the MGCP Telco Handoff (MGCP can use, ISDN (PRI/BRI) and Analog (FXO/E&M) as well as T1 CAS/E1-R2.

HTH

Hi Friends, thank you for yours great answers!

According about CUBE, I´m going to implement the best topology: 

UCM>SIP Trunk>CUBE>SIP Trunk>ITSP.

I understood I should set up all dial peers on CUBE, because it is an independient element, so I should only set up the CUBE as SIP Trunk on UCM.

Can I also set up SRST on the same CUBE or I need another ISR for SRST? 

Yes, you can on the same box.

Thanks

Hi Claudio.

Yes you can setup SRST on Cube too.

You don't need another router.

HTH

Regards

Carlo

Please rate all helpful posts "The more you help the more you learn"

Just to add one point besides other great answers from my friends, you can add both MGCP and SIP Trunk in the same gateway however same TDM port can't be controlled by both MGCP and SIP. For example if you have E1/PRI in gateway, you can either use MGCP to control it via CUCM or create a SIP Trunk in CUCM which will allow gateway itself to control E1/PRI. Moreover, one E1/PRI can be configured to use it with MGCP and other E1/PRI can be used by having SIP Trunk in CUCM.

If you configure MGCP, dial-peers become irrelevant since call processing and digit manipulation is done only in CUCM. However you may need to configure the dial-peers to take care of SRST.

If you use SIP Trunk, you need to configure dial-peers in gateway to route the call to CUCM and viceversa. Gateway is intelligent enough to do all digit manipulation however you still have a choice to do it either in gateway or CUCM.

If your TELCO is not TDM provider viz you are using SIP Trunk from TELCO, MGCP is of no use and you have to have either SIP Trunk or H.323 between CUCM and gateway.

Thanks

Hi,

Yes, MGCP and SIP are two independent protocols and can exist on single router. For example, single router hosting redundant telco links (PRI and ITSP SIP). However, this isn't best practice design as SIP alone can provide this service.

The ISR won't register using MGCP to CUCM unless it has E1/T1 card and correct port number matching the one configured in CUCM. MGCP is client-server protocol.

On the other hand, SIP doesn't need to register with CUCM because it is peer-to-peer protocol.

Then I´ll set up all dial plans in both of them (CUBE and UCM).

Yes, you need to do this. CUCM and CUBE are two independent call control units and you need to have dialplans on both to be able to route the calls out of your premise.