cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CUBE & Dial Peers

rinkmedia314
Level 1
Level 1

When configuring CUBE dial-peers, do you need separate inbound & outbound dial-peers for each destination (e.g. Telco, CUCM, etc) or can one dial-peer handle both incoming and outgoing calls?

Thanks,

J.

5 Replies 5

Manish Gogna
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

It is encouraged to configure them separately as per the CUBE configuration guide

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios-xml/ios/voice/cube/configuration/cube-book/cube-dp.html

Any specific reason for not wanting to configure them separately?

Manish

No. I've just seen several examples on the net where they seemed to have one dial-peer for both incoming & outgoing, and wanted to check if separate dial-peers was overkill or was actually needed.

Thanks for the link.

J.

You need at least two dial-peers if you think through all of the call flows.

• Using the same dial-peer for the incoming and outgoing call legs of the same "side" (eg CUCM) is possible. The most common example of this is "incoming called-number 9T" and "destination-pattern [0-8]..." for a classic four-digit CUCM numbering plan in the US.
  • It is technically possible - but a really bad design IMO - to use the same dial-peer as the incoming call leg from one side and the outgoing call leg for the other side (eg in from CUCM and out to PSTN); however, this only works asymmetrically.
  • It is not possible for a single dial-peer to cover all four parts of a two-sided CUBE design: inbound and outbound call legs of a CUCM to PSTN call as well as the inbound and outbound call legs of a PSTN to CUCM call.

Personally, I use the same dial-peer for incoming and outgoing to/from the same "side" of CUBE as mentioned in the first bullet point. I agree with Manish though for those gettting started: use a seperate one for all four side-and-direction combinations. It will make reading the "show call active voice brief" output a little easier to start.

I am a big fan of the URI matching "incoming uri via" approach since it ensures an exact match regardless of how the numbers are formatted as is the case when relying on incoming called-number. I still use destination-pattern, or e164-pattern-map if multiple destinations for that "side" on the outbound direction. In most designs.

On a related note, I also use COR (or LPCOR since it's the only option on ASR 1k) to prevent unintended/undesired hairpinning of the call. This is more of an issue when you aren't using an off-net prefix on CUBE for PSTN-facing numbers though. Just think through the failure scenarios: if CUCM returns a 404 Not Found, 503, etc. on an incoming call, will the PSTN-facing dial-peers be alternate matches for the outbound call leg? If yes, you had better prevent that from happening!

Thanks for the useful info as usual Jonathan.

Manish

If each side has separate inbound & outbound dial-peers, how to you enforce the maximum number of calls? If you put max-conn 10 in the inbound and outbound dial-peers to your provider, you could have 10 inbound calls and 10 outbound calls, not a total of 10 calls (A mixture of in & outbound) with the provider.

GTG

Please rate all helpful posts.