Views
Helpful
Replies

CUBE HA + Port Channels

robwu2006
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Not sure if this is at all possible, but...

- Does CUBE HA / HSRP support the use of Layer 3 port channel on the CUBE router end?

We are looking to make use of Nexus vPC capability by doing CUBE Layer 3 Portchannel > Nexus 7k Layer 2 vPC in access mode.

[this is to account for individual link and core switch failure, without forcing CUBE failover]

The  HA documentation looks like it uses one link only per HSRP group.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/voice-unified-communications/unified-border-element/112095-cube-hsrp-config-00.html

Cheers,

Rob

15 Replies 15

Hi Rob,

I didn't find anything saying that you can't use Port-Channel for CUBE HA.

Do you have any problem in the configuration?

Hope this helps.

Hi

see this post in another thread.
https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/11842606/trying-configure-l3-etherchannel-3845-isr

Someone was able to do this on a 3800 series ISR after a bit of messing about.

ian

Samuel T Mathai
Level 1
Level 1

have you done this ? I would like to do layer 3 port channel on my CUBE which is connected in the VSS.

I have 2 cubes and i am planning for 

Dual-Attached CUBE HSRP Redundancy.

during interface configuration i am planning to give.

I will be leaving the service provider IP in the interfaced 0/0 and leave the customer IPs on 0/1 then add 0/2 for the heartbeat which will be VIP. I’ll remove all of the loopbacks.

Is it necessary to give the singnalling and media IP address from the provider on the CUBE itself or is there any way i can do it.

Please let me know your suggestion. i am stuck with the configuration from 70 days.

Also is there any other scenario which i can make sure the service provider will failover the calls once the Primary router is out of service.

Hi,

Your VIP address is not attached to any physical interface, its configured as part of HSRP. Your physical interface are part of the HSRP group. For HSRP, you do not need a dedicated interface for heart beat. This is only required if you are using redundacy groups on the ISR4k or ASR

The only IP you configure is the signalling IP of your provider. This will typically be configured in your dial-peers 

Please rate all useful posts

So the 2 cubes no need to connect back to back ,my router is 4331. so VIP is not required.
Service provider shared the session target IP address other than the signalling and media IP address.
I thought 3 interface including the heart beat was required.
IOS version:
Cisco IOS XE Software, Version 03.16.04b.S - Extended Support Release
Cisco IOS Software, ISR Software (X86_64_LINUX_IOSD-UNIVERSALK9-M), Version 15.5(3)S4b, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1).
So how i need to configure the interfaces as cisco recommended to configure the signalling and media ip address on the same box for HA to work.
Kindly suggest.
I reffered many documents in that i am not getting a clear idea about the interface configuration.
One for LAN one for WAN and the other for the heartbeat.
Kindly suggest.

Three interfaces are required if using ISR 4K. This doesnt use HSRP, it uses redundancy group. They are two different things. Please look at the attached documentation. It explains how to set this up

I am planning for HSRP Dual-attached scenario, so i can go with 2 physical interface and how can i mention the HSRP group IP that should be a physical interface or just be a IP address which is assigned to the HSRP in the Lan interface in one side and WAN interface in other side for the other HSRP group. Please let me know that.

can anyone help

If you are referring to the HSRP inter-device comm protocol, then you would have both local and remote IP with port 5000 configured.
You can look for a sample config below -
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/voice-unified-communications/unified-border-element/112095-cube-hsrp-config-00.html#anc17

can we configure active active for outgoing calls with 2 sip trunks and ask service provider to send calls to the CUBE 1 always and if it is not reachable it can send to CUBE 2 from service provider side.

In that scenario do we need to add the media and signalling IP address on the CUBE itself please suggest on it. Also the session target was shared by service provider which is another network which does not have anything to do with the singnalling and media ip network, so do we need to add the singalling and media IP address on the same CUBE , if that is the case in both cubes i will put this SIG AND MEDIA IP as Loopback address , Kindly suggest.

You can have Active/Active but there is no redundancy in that case. There is no load balancing as well. Next, inbound load balancing/hunting needs to be done by the ITSP. CUBE has no visibility of it.
You would need to bind media and control/signaling against your CUBE external interface. Again this information is local to CUBE but is advertised to your ITSP so receive signaling/media on the correct interface/IP/port.
If your loopback address can be reached by your ITSP, you can use that. But I highly doubt would want a loopback interface vs a physical interface facing your ITSP.

I am not sure what is not clear, please explain. HSRP is not used on the ISR4K. You need to use redundancy group. It is similar but different from HSRP. You need three interfaces for this as shown in the document I sent to you.

1. You need an interface to connect to your internal network

2. You need an interface that connects to your ITSP

3. You need a dedicated interface for heartbeat. This is used for check-pointing signalling and media on both CUBES

Your two VIP will be configured on the two interfaces. Ie one VIP for the internal network and another for the external network that connects to your ITSP.

So you are saying HSRP Dual attached is not supported by 4331 router . Is there any document which is supporting the statement so i can go back to customer and present it.
Only way is redundancy group and 3 interfaces , so the VIP will take care of the Signalling and Media traffic coming and going out of the Active and standby CUBE.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: