cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cube HA Question

scooter817
Level 2
Level 2

We are looking at upgrading our UC environment this year and the first thing I want to do is get both of our cube routers on the same hardware. I have spoken to my manager and they have approved for us to purchase 2 4431 routers to replace our 2921 routers, and I wanted to setup redundancy groups for failover. But I was reading a document that I found on “High Availability on Cisco 4000 Series Integrated Services Routers”. So I was reading and I see that they say  the routers have to be connected to the same switch. I wanted to know am I reading this correctly because we have one cube in the site that I'm at and one in our data center across town and if this is correct I won’t be able to configure them as an HA pair.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

cube HA is not supported between 2 sites. You need to be in the same DC and of course you need 2 CUBE routers for this deployment. One with cube-red licenses and another without cube licenses.

In your example cube HA could be implemented in each site but not between sites.

Please Rate Posts (by clicking on Star) and/or Mark Solutions as Accepted, when applies

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Kalliopi Vazima
Level 1
Level 1

CUBE HA is only supporting for a single site implementation.

Check the design guide carefully.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios-xml/ios/voice/cube/configuration/cube-book/voi-cube-high-availability-ISR4K.html

Please Rate Posts (by clicking on Star) and/or Mark Solutions as Accepted, when applies

So I see what you're saying,  the 2 Cube routers have to be physically in the same location. So in order for me to get this to work I would need 4 routers. 2 routers in my IDF closet at the location that I work at and the data center across town will need 2 as well, is that correct.

cube HA is not supported between 2 sites. You need to be in the same DC and of course you need 2 CUBE routers for this deployment. One with cube-red licenses and another without cube licenses.

In your example cube HA could be implemented in each site but not between sites.

Thanks a lot for the help, I actually spoke to a CCIE that works with my brother at Bloomberg and they actually have 2 different sites connected with each site having an active and standby cube. it's really cool how they have it setup because he told me that every incoming call gets delivered to each active cube and incase of failover it gets sent to the standby pairs. He's going to do a WebEx with me on Monday to show me  how to set it up but thanks for everything.

Hello,

if there is a LAN architecture between the sites like a p2p connection and an ip subnet this might work as an implementation but still will no be a supported solution according to CISCO. This might affect you in case of troubleshooting with TAC. 

I opened a TAC case and explained to them what my brother has and they said that it isn't a supported model but user do implement that. So with that said I won't be setting that up and thanks again for clarifying how Redundancy groups work I appreciate it. 

Hello,

Apart from what Kalliopi describes  very clearly,  I would strongly suggest to contact a Cisco SE to identify your needs in more depth and help you on sizing/licensing.

George

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: