Views
Helpful
Replies

CUBE Redundancy suggestions?

cesar.fiestas
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am trying to put together a proposal / design for one of my customers but I would like to know about any of your CUBE redundancy experiencies?. In my case my customer will have a SIP trunk over MPLS but would like to have 2 CUBE's for redundancy. I personally thought about designing a

Layer 2 Box-to-Box Redundancy with Call Preservation.

What do you guys think? Thanks

3 Replies 3

Dennis Mink
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

From CUCM to your CUBES,provided you have OOB ping on, you can have redudancy for outbound calls, using 2 CUBES in a single RG.

inbound is somewhat different, your provider will need to hand calls of in an active active or active standby fashion (assuming you have 2 DCs with a CUBE each).  If they can to do that you will need either layer 2 between DC;s and use HSRP so your provider hands off to a HSRP (Virt IP).

Call Preservation, hmm, CUBEs can function in two fashions: flow through and flow around. (flow through is default, with RTP thru the CUBE),  flow through will not allow you Call preservation, flow around will, something to be mindful of.

Please rate if useful.

Please remember to rate useful posts, by clicking on the stars below.

From CUCM to your CUBES,provided you have OOB ping on, you can have redudancy for outbound calls, using 2 CUBES in a single RG.

If you're using a box-to-box failover approach CUCM would only have a single SIP Trunk to the virtual IP of the Redundancy Group.

inbound is somewhat different, your provider will need to hand calls of in an active active or active standby fashion (assuming you have 2 DCs with a CUBE each).  If they can to do that you will need either layer 2 between DC;s and use HSRP so your provider hands off to a HSRP (Virt IP).

CUBE box-to-box redundancy is not supported across a WAN link. The two chassis are expected to be in the same physical location. It's not "does it work" (because it does), it's "is it TAC supported".

Box-to-box redundancy works, although setting it up is a little touchy because you have to be extra careful when cabling and setting IP addresses to get everything ordered correctly. There are some ancillary features that aren't preserved after a failover and of course it only covers calls that are connected, not those in the process of being setup (e.g. ringing). BRKUCC-2006 - Deploying SIP Trunks with Cisco Unified Border Element (CUBE/vCUBE) Enterprise (2016 Melbourne).

@Dennis Mink wrote:

Could you explain in more details how to realize it?

We have same situation you mentioned: two CUBEs located in two separated locations. Our SIP providers accept only one trunk session at one time, so we cannot register from both CUBEs simultaneously. I don't know how to use 2 CUBEs in a singe RG. Please advise.