Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CUBE upgrade questions

Hi guys. We have and issue with phone calls trough CUBE to pstn and Cisco TAC recommended to upgrade CUBE to the latest version . I'm trying to look for guides in internet so far nothing. 

1 Can anyone share steps to remote upgrade of CUBE (on 3925 ISR chassis, existing   runs on 15.4(3)M2,  newest version 15.5.3M4a)

2 Any caveats during upgrade ?

2 Replies 2

dkuppe01Harris
Level 1
Level 1

First, let me say, Remote Upgrades are Very Risky, I personally would recommend doing an onsite upgrade, just in case the upgrade goes south, otherwise, you could have a Router stuck in ROMMON, and some upset customers.  

The method I use to upgrade Cisco Routers is:

Step 1. Download the IOS image from your Cisco CCO account under Support and Software Downloads

Step 2. Backup your Router Configurations, I normally do a show run and copy the configuration to a text file.  You can also back them up many other ways, such as a tool like SolarWinds, TFTP, etc.

Step 3. Configure a TFTP Server on the same LAN network as the Router You want to upgrade. Point the source to a folder that contains the IOS Image, configure the TFTP to use the interface and IP that is on the same LAN network as the Router, and follow the directions of your sourced TFTP server, pretty simple. There are a couple of different TFTP Server Programs that I use on a Windows PC, one is SolarWinds has a TFTP Server Program, that is free, but you have to register with their website, and you will get emails from them, but not too many,  The second one, has been around for a while, and was updated in the age of 64 bit operating systems.  The second one was formerly known as TFTP32, but is now TFTP64.  Both work good, and I have not tried any alternatives.  Just search for TFTP server, and they should both be listed as results.

Step 4 Double Check the current version on the Router against what you want to upgrade to and Check the space available on the FLASH card and compare it with the size of the File that you have downloaded.  If there is not enough room, then you will have to cautiously delete the Existing IOS Image on the Router, and then upload the new IOS Image.  To both verify the current version and to check the space on the Flash issue the following command from Priviledge Exec Mode: enable

Router1# Show Version

What you are looking for in regards to current image is towards the beginning of the output:

System image file is "flash:c2900-universalk9-mz.SPA.154-3.M4.bin"

What you are looking for in space is about in the middle of the output:

Cisco CISCO2901/K9 (revision 1.0) with 2506752K/114688K bytes of memory. 

Add the two numbers together to get the Size of the Flash.  

Alternatively to verify the current version which you will need later, but this command does not give you the space on the Flash, issue the command:

Router1# dir

which will have an output similar to this:

c2900-universalk9-mz.SPA.152-4.M6.bin

Step 5 On your Router perform the following commands.  Caution, do not reload the Router until you have verified the new IOS Image is loaded on the Router, and the Boot Option is set to use the new option, otherwise you will be stuck in ROMMON.

Step 5.a If you need to make space on your flash card enter the command:

Router1# delete /force /recursive flash:c3825-adventerprisek9-mz.151-4.M10.bin

where c3825-adventerprisek9-mz.151-4.M10.bin would be your existing IOS Image found in show version.  

Step 5.b
enter these commands sequentially answering each prompt:

Router1# copy tftp: flash:
Address or name of remote host []? 10.0.0.2
Source filename []? c2800nm-advipservicesk9-mz.124-25g.bin

Then just wait and watch the "!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" go across the screen until the load is complete.

Step6.  When load is complete Verify your load is on the flash by issuing the dir command again as shown above.

Step7.

Router1# configure terminal
Rt-2901-GW(config)# boot system flash:c3560-ipservicesk9-mz.150-2.SE8.bin ( which is your New IOS image file)

Step 8. Reload / Reboot your router with:
Router1# Reload

Step 9 watch your router and verify everything comes back online and is operational.

I hope that helps.

Hi,

Upgrading cube is basically upgrading the IOS version which automatically upgrades cube to corresponding version.

Regarding caveats, that depends on what features you are running on IOS beside cube. I am assuming that this was communicated to TAC and accordingly they recommended a version.

You can use Cisco Bug Toolkit to lookup common bugs against the recommended IOS.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: