Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCM 11.0 EndPoints Firmware update

Szabo Tomi
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All,

Our customer has CUCM ver. 11.0.1.20000-2. I would like to register two different phones, but I should uprage these phones Firmware.

What is the recommended Firmware at these phones?

The phones type are 7940 SCCP and 8845 SIP.

Thank you,

Kind Regards

Tamas

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Check under Device -> Device Settings -> Device Defaults so you can see what the current load is for the 7940 and 8845.

The 8845s are probably on a 12.7 variant at this point , the 7940 hasn't been updated in years. I would be shocked if your system didn't have the latest.

View solution in original post

13 Replies 13

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Register them to CUCM and then upgrade at device level if that's what you want.

Recommendation is to always run whatever is the latest FW, review the README/RN to determine if you can upgrade directly from whatever FW they're running or not.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Thank you,

But the latest version is compatibilit with CUCM 11.0?

Compatibility is mentioned in the downloads page as well as the RNs for the FW.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

I mean, this phone version (3.03) is too old, and the phone cannot register the CUCM. I should upgrade the FW.
But is the latest FW phone can register at the CUCM?

As Java wrote the release note for the phone firmware should contain information about compatibility. Usually there is no problem in using newest version of firmware on the phones as it’s not directly related to the version of the CUCM. But you’ll need to do your due diligence and read up before you go about with this.

Response Signature

Check under Device -> Device Settings -> Device Defaults so you can see what the current load is for the 7940 and 8845.

The 8845s are probably on a 12.7 variant at this point , the 7940 hasn't been updated in years. I would be shocked if your system didn't have the latest.

For the 7940 / 7960 there were some firmware versions that needed an intermediate upgrade.  For that reason we've seen customers with these phones stuck in the past so to speak, for example if they did a CUCM major version upgrade and let the phone loads do their own thing. 

The OP says these phones are SCCP, but the version number he quotes looks like SIP? 

The phone version is SIP.
The 7940 upgrade was successful.

The 7940/7960 was designed to be SCCP phones, the SIP firmware likely has a few limitations, but might work for what you use. If you do find limited function I would recommend to convert these phones to SCCP.

Response Signature

Okay, Thank you so much!

Yes I Got it.
The 7940 update was sucessul, but I haven't seen the 8845 in the list.
Isn't compatibilite the 11.0 ver with 8845?

It is, but, you may need to install a device pack to enable it, which will shift firmware versions for things (probably backwards at this point). You could then move the endpoint firmware up if it's compatible with your software.

UCM 11.0 is end of maintenance, support ending in a couple of months for current contract holders.

Thank you so much!