Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCM 11.6 and deprecated Phones

mightyking
Level 6
Level 6

Hello everyone,

We are upgrading our CUCM cluster to version 11.6 and would need to replace about 10000 phones. The phone replacement is going to happen before the upgrade of CUCM. We have more than 20 phone services configured in our CUCM cluster. Each phone is associated with at least 6 or 7 different phone services. I believe in our case the best procedure to use for replacing phones is:

1- Export phones with all details (CSV files)

2- Change the phone type

3- Update the Device Name with the MAC address of the new phones

4- Import the updated CSV file based on phone type ( only 4 different phone types)

5- Install the latest phone load in CUCM for each new phone

6- Upgrade the phone FW to the latest supported version

Is there any other easier way of accomplishing this task?

Thanks,

MK

4 Replies 4

Muhammad Awais Khan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

My personal experience with your approach is good. You can always test some group of phones before importing CSV for complete. Only challenge will be for you is the phone distribution with these number of Phones :) 

There is one more way which i tried is the self-provisioning. It might ease some challenges we face in phone distribution where we need to send the phones to the end users based on MAC-Address. With self-provisioning we are not binding the phone with mac-addresses initially. Only bad thing about this is the end-user have to provision the phone one time by entering credentials initially which some customers dont like it.

Thanks Mohammad,

As far as I know, the Self-Provisioning method wouldn't take care of the services associated with each phone neither the user association. As I mentioned, we have about 20 different phone services and with no exception, each phone is associated with at least 6 or 7 different phone services.

Thanks,

MK

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Look at migrationfx

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Hi Jaime,

Our management do not want any enduser involvement for phone provisioning. The telephony team has to take care of the entire procedure.

Thanks,

MK

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: