Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCM 11-Jabber Client as Softphone mode

Can we use Jabber client with only softphone capabilities for CUCM 11 ?. I heard that this become difficult starting CUCM 11. Correct ? Believe there are options when you deploy Jabber to ignore the IMP functionality - can't seem to find that document.

We want to make sure that softphone mode only does not affect Lync/Outlook IM functionality. Our CUCM version is 11.

Couple things -

1) Can someone point me to that document?

2) Do you still need a IMP server to enable just the softphone feature?

22 Replies 22

James Hawkins
Level 8
Level 8

Jabber phone mode is still supported in version 11.8.

You do not need IMP servers.

Links

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/unified-communications/jabber-windows/116446-technote-product-00.html

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/jabber/11_8/cjab_b_planning-guide-jabber-118/cjab_b_planning-guide-jabber-118_chapter_010.html#CJAB_RF_O8C68438_00

Tried First document which seems for version 9 and it did not work. Still showing IM&P setting on jabber.

Do not enable the user for IM&P. do not assign an IM&P server in the service profile, just assign the CTI profile (if necessary) and configure their Jabber device in CUCM as usual.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

It seems working after using service profile but it broke the outlook lync presence feature. I can not see if someone is online (Lync) on Outlook . I already tried to use Click2 disable option while installing Jabber client.

Hi Madhav,

I am also planning to deploy jabber for my customer in softphone mode only.

For IMP customer will will Skype.

Could u pls shed some light on the issue (outlook presence stopped working), what do you suggest I should do to avoid such issues .thx for ur help ..

Regards

Hi there

Yes from Cisco Jabber for Windows Version 9.2.1, you have the ability to deploy the client in phone-only mode. In this mode the client authenticates directly with CUCM and you are provisioned with audio or video capabilities without the functionality of presence or instant messaging (IM).

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/jabber/12_0/cjab_b_planning-guide-for-cisco-jabber-12/cjab_b_planning-guide-for-cisco-jabber-12_chapter_011.html

It’s a know issue when Cisco Jabber in phone mode breaks Lync presence integration. If you want to disable the Jabber’s interaction/integration with Outlook (contact card) you should disable Click2X plugin. This plugin is responsible for integration.

More info from Jabber 12 release notes

Phone Mode Deployments with Microsoft Lync
Click-to-x functionality must be disabled if you want to deploy Cisco Jabber for Windows in phone mode on the same computer as Microsoft Lync. See the Common Installation Arguments section of the Deployment Guide for more information about the CLICK2X installer switch.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/jabber/Windows/12_0/RN/jabw_b_release-notes-for-cisco-jabber_12.pdf

Hope this helps

Cheers
Rath!

***Please rate helpful posts***

jabber---.pngThanks Rath,

Few question, appreciate if you can help.
I am testing Jabber for softphone in Lab (Jabber verison 11.9.3) and I am getting message regarding TFTP. (I have attached a pic of same)

I have not updated Jabber-config.xml file yet its all default.

Do I need to update TFTP addresses in Jabber-config.xml file ?

Thanks for help

You will be using Jabber-config.xml file by default.

You can login to CUCM CLI and check that

admin:file view tftp jabber-config.xml

Or use this URL - http://X.X.X.X:6970/jabber-config.xml

Here (X.X.X.X) is CUCM PUB IP Address

Or you can find the local copy on your PC as well

%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming\Cisco\Unified Communications\Jabber\CSF\Config

I assume you are using UDS for your testing.

You can create a Jabber-config.xml with the below file generator, upload to TFTP, Restart TFTP, Reset Jabber, Try login

https://supportforums.cisco.com/t5/collaboration-voice-and-video/jabber-config-file-generator/ta-p/3112597

Hope this helps

Cheers
Rath!

hi,

Surprisingly, in my case there is no such file :(

admin:file get tftp jabber-config.xml
Please wait while the system is gathering files info ...done.
No such file or directory can be found.

admin:file view tftp jabber-config.xml
jabber-config.xml: File not found.admin:

Jabber-config.xml does not exist by default. You create it if you need it. Do you need to modify any settings that require a change in Jabber config file? Most things can be done natively on your service profile..

Please rate all useful posts

hi ,

yes I did create it now.

I am trying to use UDS as directory search.
and I realized it is  working only if I have
<DirectoryServer>UDS<\DirectoryServer>

in my xml otherwise UDS is not working (even if UDS checked under service profile).

The problem now I am facing is , after login into Jabber4windows

my name on top is appearing as SAMACCOUNTNAME@ 

no domain in the end, as I m only using it in Softphone mode. Any ideas ?

however in terms of searching users from Jabber, I can search all using UDS (both local and LDAP imported users) Not sure how can I correct this Name on top ?

Hi there

Did you add any domain for your IMP ? You can check that here. You can change the domain by stopping all the below services. Add the domain and test it out.

IMP domain change.png

Hope this Helps

Cheers
Rath!

@Ratheesh Kumar

This is Jabber with soft phone mode only. How is IM and P involved here ? Even if IM and P is involved how would he have logged on without a presence domain? 

Please rate all useful posts

hi

as this is softphone only, no IMP is deployed.

I am loggin in with USER ID OF CUCM (SAMACCOUNTNAME) + DOMAIN.

I have a SRV record created for _cisco-uds._tcp.domain.com.

Login and contact search (UDS) is not an issue.

its just my own user ID (SAMACCOUNTNAME@) on top of my Jabber which is frustrating me since hours now. !
please help, anything I can do in Jabber-config.xml ?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: