Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCM 11.x Migration

Juraj Papic
Level 3
Level 3

Hi all,

I have to migrate a cucm 11.x (Pub/Sub) to a new hardware,  I did a test in my lab for the migration and got errors with the database sync between the Pub & Sub,  "Replication not setup".

Any tips please to fix this?

thanks. 

16 Replies 16

Try a cluster restart. 

If you are not migrating to same version I would suggest to use PCD. Read the PCD admin guide. 

Response Signature

Juraj Papic
Level 3
Level 3

Hello,

The PCD for this version is not supported, (this was confirmed by Cisco Tac) And we are migrating from version 11.5 to 11.5

Thanks.

if migration to same version we cannot use PCD. Try a Custer reboot and see it start the Db replication.  11.X is a EOL announced version. I would suggest to move to 12.X. 

Response Signature

Vinod.s
Level 3
Level 3

Juraj,

Can you share your migration steps so that i can guide you .

As you mentioned lab, are you migrating existing cluster or parallel cluster for testing purpose.

Try resetting dbreplication from publisher ... Refer this guide 

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/unified-communications/unified-communications-manager-callmanager/200396-Steps-to-Troubleshoot-Database-Replicati.html

utils dbreplication stop (SUBSCRIBER)

utils dbreplication stop (PUBLISHER)

utils dbreplication reset all (PUBLISHER)

Regards

Vinod

Hello Jame17,

We did was to shutdown the Pub, install a new Pub (Same hostname / IP)  and when we finished the install , we did the restore from the backups.

Thanks. 

Hi Juraj,

If i am not wrong dbreplication will not work for only publisher...you to install both pub and sub and then restore backup or

As suggested by Roger you can perform offline migration by 

1. Power off cucm vm 2. Copy ova file to local machine 3. Move into new hardware 

Refer this yourtube link for vm migration : https://youtu.be/8drFEj1k9zc

And check dbreplication status and perform troubleshooting if any.

I think that the VM file is named VMX. OVA files are for creating new VM from a template.

Response Signature

You are correct roger , i have shared youtube video for better understanding to Juraj ..

thanks for highlighting.

If all that you want to achieve is to move your VMs to new hardware you should be able to use vmotion. You can either do it in online mode, if your vcenter has connection with both the old and new hardware. If not you could use the offline option for vmotion or you could also just copy the files for the VM and move these onto the new hardware.

Response Signature

Hello Roger,

I open a Tac case and it was not supported via Cisco the Vmotion.

Thanks.

This is not correct. Vmotion is absolutely supported by Cisco, with the limitation of that you have to have vcenter. As this would in my book be the de-facto deployment type I did not even think about that you might not and you did not give all that much information about any details of your system landscape for us to give you an answer that is based on your specifics. There is a list of all VMware functions and what is supported on various Cisco UC systems and most definitely vmotion is amongs these. DRS is however not supported and that is often mixed up with vmotion as it relies on this to move VMs dynamically based on the load of the ESXi host.

Response Signature

Juraj Papic
Level 3
Level 3

Hello

Thanks to all for the answers I saw the videos and is great but in my case, we don't have Vcenter we only have ESXI.  I will try to replicate the video you shared but with ESXI only.

thanks. 

You should still be able to copy the VM files from one ESXi host to another. With the caveat that you most likely would need to modify the “hardware” to match your new ESXi host once you have move it.

Response Signature

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: