cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCM 12.0 to 14.0 Upgrade | 7940 Switched to SIP Firmware?

RITR
Level 1
Level 1

Post upgrade, we have a number of 7940 phones that for some reason look like they switched to SIP firmware and are trying to auto-register? Tried factory resetting, but didn't help. The device protocol in CUCM is SCCP so not sure where these phones are getting SIP from.

The phone shows:

AUTO-REGSIP

Status Messages

E680 REG Rejected

W220 TFTP Error: Not Found

SIP001646XXXXXX.cnf (X's mine)

W310 1 Error(s) Parsing:

SIPDefault.cnf

Registration Rejected

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Take a look at this thread

https://community.cisco.com/t5/unified-communications/cucm-7940-7960-upgrade-issues/td-p/3874890

As mentioned in the thread, seems to be related to the config file going above 8 kb

SCCP IP Phones are unable to download their config file SEP<mac>.cnf.xml
CSCtg22649
HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Is the 7940 even supported in version 14? I thought it got axed in a prior release, possibly 12.5.

Response Signature

Cisco reversed their position on it, see here.

Knew about the reversal of this. I guess I mixed it up with some of the other phones in the list that got axed in earlier releases.

Never the less it would probably be a good thing if you consider to replace the 79x0 phones as they are yay old by now.

Kind of surprises me that so many are using old legacy things still. Not just for phones, but especially for the core components of the UC service. That’s one of the many things that being active on this community has brought to life for me.

Response Signature

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Take a look at this thread

https://community.cisco.com/t5/unified-communications/cucm-7940-7960-upgrade-issues/td-p/3874890

As mentioned in the thread, seems to be related to the config file going above 8 kb

SCCP IP Phones are unable to download their config file SEP<mac>.cnf.xml
CSCtg22649
HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Yep.. it's over 8192 bytes: 8622 bytes. Uhg

I followed the workaround in the bug's forum post and set the 7940/60 SIP load to the SCCP firmware and it fixed it.

But, why the AUTO-REGSIP and why did this fix it if the issue is the SCCP config over 8KB?

We upgraded our CM from version 12 to 12.5 over the weekend and as soon as we started moving CP-7960 and CP-7940 phones or adding new ones to CM, we ran into this problem. We tried different ways to get the phones to load the proper SCCP load but every time a phone was reset or moved it would fail to register because it would download the SIP load instead of the SCCP load. It is like CM 12.5 prioritizes SIP over SCCP. 

We were able to mitigate it by setting the default load in the Device Defaults Configuration for 7960 and 7940 SIP devices to the same load as the SCCP types. In our case, we changed the SIP load file name for the 7960 and 7940 SIP devices from P0S3-8-12-00 to P0030801SR02. This has been working beautifully and saving us lots of headaches. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: