Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCM 4.3 --> 7 Upgrade Utility / DMA for Parallel upgrade

Allan Wells
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

Would like to to confirm for a parallel CallManager 4.3 -->7.1.3 upgrade that there is no requirement in running the Cisco Upgrade Utility on the legacy cluster.

We will be 

1. Upgrading legacy clsuter from 4.2 to 7.1.3.
    1. The 7.1.3 build is happening in parallel on brand  new MCS 7845 hardware
    2. Waht benifet  (legacy cluster is running fine)will there be in running the upgrade utility on legacy cluster, given we will be building on new cluster?
    3. My understandfing  is that the CUCM upgrade utility checks health of cluster and is only relevant if the upgrade is happening on same cluster & not for a new parallel install. Is this a correct assumption

1. The approach I would like to take is run DMA on legacy cluster (publisher server) veryify data as per documenation (correct any issues) and build new cluster with DMA file.
    1. Dont want to introduce complexities (scheduled outages) of the Upgrade utility for no valid reasons.

DMA extract

1. Verification DMA Data  completion Status Recognition DMA completion reflects four possible outcomes:
      Export Success & Validation Success
  1. Note if the DMA run results in one of the following three outcomes, you must fix the inconsistencies and rerun DMA.
    1. ā€¢ Export Success & Validation Success but with Warnings
      ā€¢ Export Success & Validation Failure
      ā€¢ Export Failure
    2. We will access the DMA log files from the final status window. Use them to see what needs to be fixed.

Thank you

Allan

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Allan,

I agree with your assessment here that the is no "requirement" for running the Upgrade

Assistant on your old MCS boxes if your new build is going to be on all new 7845's.

The only benefit in running UA would be if you had to fall back due to some unforeseen

circumstances (god forbid!). The important thing to get from your current 4.x build is

a nice clean DMA as you nicely noted

Cheers!

Rob

View solution in original post

I've done a number of upgrades on various flavors this year.  Almost all of them have been migrating over to new hardware or a

parallel upgrade as you called it.  I can confirm for you that you do not need to run UA on the old MCS servers UNLESS you plan to reuse one in the new cluster.  UA checks primarily the physical health and upgrade specs of the boxes you are running it on...so it doesn't do you much good when the servers running the old version of CUCM are being left behind.

Hailey

Please rate helpful posts!

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Allan,

I agree with your assessment here that the is no "requirement" for running the Upgrade

Assistant on your old MCS boxes if your new build is going to be on all new 7845's.

The only benefit in running UA would be if you had to fall back due to some unforeseen

circumstances (god forbid!). The important thing to get from your current 4.x build is

a nice clean DMA as you nicely noted

Cheers!

Rob

I've done a number of upgrades on various flavors this year.  Almost all of them have been migrating over to new hardware or a

parallel upgrade as you called it.  I can confirm for you that you do not need to run UA on the old MCS servers UNLESS you plan to reuse one in the new cluster.  UA checks primarily the physical health and upgrade specs of the boxes you are running it on...so it doesn't do you much good when the servers running the old version of CUCM are being left behind.

Hailey

Please rate helpful posts!