cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCM 7.0 Upgrade - Licensing

rcoote5902_2
Level 2
Level 2

Back again with another question involving my 4.1(3) to 7.1(2) drama. :)

So the first node is upgraded and configured, and I've managed to import the DLU's from my previous cluster. However...there still seems to be something missing.

In the License Report, Phone License Feature looks ok.

CCM node License Feature shows:

Units Authorized: 2

Units Used: 1

Units Remaining: 1

Now Question #1: We're moving from a 2 server cluster to a 3 server cluster - the migration authorized us for 2 nodes based on what we were already using, so what additional part number do I need to order to add the 3rd Node?

Next, the Software License Version section shows no SW Version and Status as "Missing". (insert dramatic music here)

The new appliances didn't come with a PAK package, except for a free 5 seat evaluation of Call Center Express...

My boss ordered all this stuff (look at me pass the buck!) so I'm not exactly sure what he ordered, but I think we're missing the actual software license for CUCM 7.0? And if so, I also assume I need 3 of these.

So Question #2: What am I missing, and what additional part numbers do I need to order?

Thanks!

Rob

10 Replies 10

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hey Rob,

Hahaha! Very funny post buddy! I could almost hear the dramatic music interspersed here ;-) Now, Rule #1 - never let the boss order anything without reviewing.

As far as Licensing goes, yes, any upgrade to a new "train" requires the Software Feature License.

Here is a clip that speaks to this issue;

Software Feature License

When you upgrade from an earlier release of Cisco Unified Communications Manager to Release 7.0(2), you must download and install a software feature license to activate the new features.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/rel_notes/7_0_2/cucm-rel_notes-702.html#wp616664

***You should have received a PAK with the 4.x to 7.x Upgrade Media***

Use this procedure to obtain a software feature license:

Procedure

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Step 1 Navigate to the License Registration web tool at http://www.cisco.com/go/license.

Step 2 Enter the Product Authorization Key (PAK) that you received with your Cisco Unified Communications Manager upgrade.

Step 3 Click Submit.

Step 4 Follow the system prompts. You must enter the MAC address of the Ethernet 0 NIC of the first node of the Cisco Unified Communications Manager cluster. You must also enter a valid e-mail address.

The system sends the license file to you via e-mail by using the e-mail address that you provided. To view the contents of a software feature license, refer to "License File Contents" in the Cisco Unified Communications Manager System Guide.

Step 5 You must upload the software license file to the server with the matching MAC address that you provided in Step 4.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/admin/7_0_1/ccmcfg/b02licfu.html#wp1067359

Here is a clip from a CCM Ordering Guide

"A license must be ordered for each server in a Unified Communications Manager cluster irrespective of server function (e.g. MOH, TFTP, warm standby server, etc). **This would be the "node" license.

We know that the CCM Cluster "must" have the appropriate Node Licenses/with seats to operate correctly. In your case a "new" Node License will be required to add support for the additional (2nd) Subscriber box.

It would look something like this;

1x LIC-CM7.0-7845=xxxx (I can't recall what MCS-7800 model you are using so 7845 is just an example)

Where xxxx is equal to the number of seats that are required.

Hope this helps!

Rob

Alright Cisco licensing is making my brain hurt. Maybe I'm an idiot for thinking this but if I order a Unified CM Appliance that is pre-loaded with CUCM 7.0 I would anticipate a license for said preloaded software. Am I wrong?

Here is exactly what we ordered:

3 x Unified-CM-7.0 - CUCM 7.0 top level part number

3 x MCS7825I3-K9-CMC1 - HW/SW MCS 7825-I3 Unified CM 7.0 Appliance

...power cords, spare ram, Smartnet, etc.

So you're telling me the LIC-CM7.0-7825 is the 'node' license? I got 2 "freebies" from my migration but need one more because I'm expanding the cluster?

Then what exactly do I need to order for the Software Feature License? We got no PAK with the media. The media I received in the box with the MCS was:

CUCM 7.0(2a) installation DVD CUCM7.0(2a) System Recovery DVD

CUCM Upgrade from 5.x to 7.0(2a)

CUCM Upgrade from 6.1(2) to 7.0(2a)

and the generic EULA/Warranty CD

No PAK that I can find, in any of the 3 MCS boxes.

Hey Rob,

I feel your pain my friend! Figuring out the Licensing requirements is tough. Luckily, working with the folks @ Cisco Licensing is very,very good :)

Q1 - "if I order a Unified CM Appliance that is pre-loaded with CUCM 7.0 I would anticipate a license for said preloaded software. Am I wrong?"

Sadly you do require a new Node license that does not come with the Appliance.

In the media box was there a piece of paper labelled "Software License Claim Certificate" that's where the PAK for the Sowftware Feature License" should have been.

I would fire off an email to;

licensing@cisco.com

With the pertinant corporate/ordering info;

Something like this;

We recently purchased the upgrade from CCM 4.x to CUCM 7.x and require the Software feature License, somehow the PAK for this has been misplaced, we would require this license to be tied to existing Publisher MAC AAABBBCCCDDD accordingly.

Here is the pertinent info;

End User Name - Bobmart.com

Legal Address - 11223 Fun City Rd

City,Country - Banff, Canada

Purchase Order Number - 111111

Sales Order Number - 2222333

Bill to ID - xxxxx

Ship to ID - xxxxxxxxx

Thanks in advance for all your help with this! Can you please email the new license to:

rcoote@funzone.com

Hope this helps!

Rob

Thanks again Rob, I have contacted Cisco Licensing and we'll see what they have to say.

I've lost a lot of faith in the vendor I'm dealing with as they don't seen very confident in being able to provide me with what I'm missing.

Does anyone have the Cisco Part # for the Software Feature License?? That would help immensely.

Rob

Hey Rob,

There is no actual part# for this :( You should have received the License by ordering these parts;

"Here is exactly what we ordered:

3 x MCS7825I3-K9-CMC1 - HW/SW MCS 7825-I3 Unified CM 7.0 Appliance"

You get the "Software Feature License" with Upgrade orders but because the 4.x to 7.x is more than a 2 version hop you should get the license with the 7.x Top Level part#. If you provided this info to Licensing you should be good to go.

Cheers!

Rob

Well now Cisco Licensing is being useless as well.

I've provided them the PO# and they told me we purchased node licensing but not software feature licensing.

I asked them if they can provide me with a part number for the upgrade from 4.1(3) to 7.0 - and they told me to contact my vendor.

My vendor doesn't know the part number

Cisco won't tell me what it is.

I have 3 brand new CUCM servers cheap if anyone wants them - since we can't use them.

Hi Rob,

Sorry to hear that you are having such problems with this. The issue that I see is that there is no 4.x to 7.x part # that I know of. You may have to go with the "two step" approach;

CM6.1U4-K9-7835= SW Upgrade CM 4.1/4.2/4.3 to CM

6.1 - 7835

then

CM7.0-U-K9-7835= SW Upgrade CM6.0/ 6.1 to CM 7.0 - 7835

With 7835 being examples-only, I can't remember what servers you currently have for sale on eBay ;-)

Sorry, but I thought you might need a laugh about now.

Hope this helps!

Rob

PS: Can you send me your email address

Hi Rob,

Sorry to jump like this on this post.

I believe those upgrade part number are available only for 6.0/6.1 to 7.0

There is no migration SKU for 4.x to 7.0. and in such cases instead of going for two step migration as we used to do earlier, we need to just purchase 7.0 as a new ordering.

Here's what the ordering guide states -

=========================================Cisco Unified CallManager 4.x or Cisco Unified Communications Manager 5.1 to Cisco Unified Communications Manager7. 0

There is no migration SKU. Re-purchase Cisco Unified Communications Manager 7.0 as if it were a new system.

Example 1- Customer has Unified CallManager 4.0 on an MCS 7835 from HP. There is no direct upgrade path from 4.0 to 7.0. Customer needs to go the software Center to download the 4.1(3) version and then he must order CM7.0-K9-DL380.

If the customer wants to buy a new server at the same time, he would use the top level SKU, UNIFIED-CM-7.0 and select the server of choice. No migration SKU is necessary because this is a 3 release “hop".

=========================================

Attached is the ordering guide.

-> Sushil

Hey Sushil,

Hope all is well buddy! I totally agree and that's why I posted this earlier in the thread. I think Rob should have received the License by ordering the CUCM 7.x "Top Level" part number.

"There is no actual part# for this :( You should have received the License by ordering these parts;

"Here is exactly what we ordered:

3 x MCS7825I3-K9-CMC1 - HW/SW MCS 7825-I3 Unified CM 7.0 Appliance"

You get the "Software Feature License" with Upgrade orders but because the 4.x to 7.x is more than a 2 version hop you should get the license with the 7.x Top Level part#. If you provided this info to Licensing you should be good to go."

So you and I are in complete agreement here.

Cheers!

Rob

Ha Ha Ha, these upgrade have been made complicated unnecessarily, reading through the mail I got confused.

Yes we are definitely on the same page.

-> Sushil

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: