Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCM 7.1.5 device package phone reboot

Samuel Hyman
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We will be installing device package 7.1.5.36121-2 to get support for the 8831 and I was wondering if the install process will force all of our phones to reboot to download new firmware or if there is a chance to change the default device settings back to the current settings after the install. We don't want all of our phones to reboot when preforming this install.

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Terry Cheema
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

There are two things here:

1) Yes if you update the device pack, it will update the firmware version of the existing phones as well.Since the default device firmware gets updated.

This can be controlled by various means, like stopping tftp services during reboot, manually changing back the device defaults (very hectic) and using import/export (easy and accurate). I have listed this one in detail at the bottom.

2) Secondly when you are adding the support for a new device, you will need to reboot your cluster, before the new phone can register to the servers.

To control and lock the firmware upload, there are various methods but the easiest one that had always worked for me is as below:

The easiest way I have found is using BAT import/export function to keep the firmware same. The below steps should do:
1) Export the device defaults
2) Install the cop file on the pub and the subsequent nodes (after the installation is complete loads will be updated)
3) Import the device defaults to revert back to previous firmware.
4) Once confirmed the loads are same as per the original - Reload the servers one at a time. After reloading the first server make sure device defaults are matching the old ones and proceed with other servers.

Note: Some people deactivate the TFTP services first and then apply device pack and they perform the import after the reboot but the above process has worked for me since the device defaults gets updated as soon as you apply the cop file before even the reboot.

-Terry

Please rate all helpful posts and mark the thread as answered if you have no other queries.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Terry Cheema
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

There are two things here:

1) Yes if you update the device pack, it will update the firmware version of the existing phones as well.Since the default device firmware gets updated.

This can be controlled by various means, like stopping tftp services during reboot, manually changing back the device defaults (very hectic) and using import/export (easy and accurate). I have listed this one in detail at the bottom.

2) Secondly when you are adding the support for a new device, you will need to reboot your cluster, before the new phone can register to the servers.

To control and lock the firmware upload, there are various methods but the easiest one that had always worked for me is as below:

The easiest way I have found is using BAT import/export function to keep the firmware same. The below steps should do:
1) Export the device defaults
2) Install the cop file on the pub and the subsequent nodes (after the installation is complete loads will be updated)
3) Import the device defaults to revert back to previous firmware.
4) Once confirmed the loads are same as per the original - Reload the servers one at a time. After reloading the first server make sure device defaults are matching the old ones and proceed with other servers.

Note: Some people deactivate the TFTP services first and then apply device pack and they perform the import after the reboot but the above process has worked for me since the device defaults gets updated as soon as you apply the cop file before even the reboot.

-Terry

Please rate all helpful posts and mark the thread as answered if you have no other queries.