Announcements
Views
Helpful
Replies
muranskycotech
Beginner

CUCM 7.1 - Help Configuring Ricoh IP Fax

Greetings!

I have a number of Ricoh Multifunction Printers that support H.323/SIP IP-Fax capabilities. I would like to be able to use them with my CUCM 7.1 and 2821 MGCP gateway. Currently my on-site devices use a VG224, but my off-site units use analog lines only, and as I expand my system to those sites I want to avoid putting ATA's in place due to cost and the added support complexity.

If anyone here is familiar with this process or specifically with Ricoh/Lanier/Gestetner devices in this setup, I would appreciate any guidance.

12 REPLIES 12
Christopher Graham
Cisco Employee

I'm not familiar with the Ricoh printers, but if they support H323/SIP, I can only assume they would functions much like a fax server (RightFax/Xmedius). As such, they would need to negotiate protocol based T38 with the PSTN gateway. 

I would envision a call flow like this:

PSTN--PRI--Gateway--MGCP--CUCM--H323--fax machine

You would configure the fax machine as an H323 gateway in CUCM, and create a route pattern for the DID of the fax machine to route to this gateway.  Then, you would need to have the following config on your MGCP gateway:

no ccm-manager fax protocol cisco

no mgcp fax t38 inhibit

mgcp package-capability fxr

mgcp default-package fxr

no mgcp

mgcp

So, once the call routes to the fax machine, T38 would be negotiated, and the T30 messages exchanged as such.

Thanks for the quick reply! I'll give it a shot tomorrow and see what I can make of it.