cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCM 7.x and Unity 8.x

dalamdiz
Level 1
Level 1

I have inherited a Enterprise level phone system and I am having a hard time understanding it. Here is the issue.

A call comes in to an 800 number which is associated to an extension. The call gets passed to one person, then another, and then back to the first. I have been asked to make a change so that if both are busy, the caller will hear a played message and then the call is to be disconnected. I am at a loss as what to do to accomplish this.

4 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Thomas Dominic
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Jason,

You are looking at a hunt group here that does the behaviour you explained.

What you will need to do to get the new behaviour is as follows

• Create a CTI Route Point to Unity and assign it an Extension
  • Add this extension as the third member of your hunt-group
  • In Unity create a Call Handler and Forward Routing Rule pointing to the Call Handler for the extension.
  • In the Call Handler created record the greeting, and in the next action drop down terminate the call.

This should work for you, any more details you can give as to deviations from the steps mentioned will help in a better answer.

Regards

Thomas

P.S. Please rate helpful Posts

View solution in original post

Hi Jason

I agree with the solution provided by Thomas.

Here is how you can proceed with the solution.

===CUCM===

Under Device-->CTI Route Point-->Add New (give the Device name and other details)-->Save

When You Save it ,You'll get an option to create a DN

Create a Dummy DN No. (E.g 9999)

Forward all to Voicemail

Under Call Routing-->Royue/Hunt ...Add this CTI Route as the third memeber in the Line Group

===Unity===

Call Management-->System Call Handlers-->Add New

Give the same extension you used in the CTI Route Point (here 9999)

Edit-->Greeting-->Standard-->record the Greeting and use My personal greeting

Call Routing-->Forwarded Routing Rules--->Add New-->Display name-->Save-->Add New-->Forwarding station-->Equals--->9999(CTI Route pint extension)

I think this should help you out :-)

HTH

Thanks

Vidit

P.S Please rate helpful Posts

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Jason,

Yes, this is most possible

Call Management > Call Handlers > Greetings Page > Send Caller To

After Greeting

Indicate the action that Cisco Unity performs after the greeting plays:

Take Message—Cisco Unity records a message from the caller. Click the Take Message link to view the Messages page.

Send Caller To—Cisco Unity sends the call to the destination that you select:

Call Handler—Sends the call to the call handler that you select.

Directory Handler—Sends the call to directory assistance.

Greetings Administrator—Sends the call to a conversation for changing call handler greetings over the phone.

Hang Up—Disconnects the call. Use carefully; unexpected hang-ups can appear rude to callers.

Interview Handler—Sends the call to the interview handler that you select.

Sign-In—Sends the call to the subscriber logon conversation.

Subscriber—Sends the call to the subscriber that you select.

Default: Send Caller To Hang Up.

Cheers!

Rob

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Jason,

I may not have explained that properly

Find the Call Handler for 4400, then go to the Greeting

page for whichever greeting you have chosen to use. Let's just

say you are using the "Standard" Greeting. On that page you will

find the "After Greeting Action" we are looking for.

Cheers!

Rob

17 Replies 17

Thomas Dominic
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Jason,

You are looking at a hunt group here that does the behaviour you explained.

What you will need to do to get the new behaviour is as follows

• Create a CTI Route Point to Unity and assign it an Extension
  • Add this extension as the third member of your hunt-group
  • In Unity create a Call Handler and Forward Routing Rule pointing to the Call Handler for the extension.
  • In the Call Handler created record the greeting, and in the next action drop down terminate the call.

This should work for you, any more details you can give as to deviations from the steps mentioned will help in a better answer.

Regards

Thomas

P.S. Please rate helpful Posts

Do I make these changes in the CM or in Unity? Forgive me, but I am only used to working on CME.

The first 2 steps in CM

and the last 2 in Unity

regards

Thomas

P.S. Please Rate Helpful Post

Hi Jason

I agree with the solution provided by Thomas.

Here is how you can proceed with the solution.

===CUCM===

Under Device-->CTI Route Point-->Add New (give the Device name and other details)-->Save

When You Save it ,You'll get an option to create a DN

Create a Dummy DN No. (E.g 9999)

Forward all to Voicemail

Under Call Routing-->Royue/Hunt ...Add this CTI Route as the third memeber in the Line Group

===Unity===

Call Management-->System Call Handlers-->Add New

Give the same extension you used in the CTI Route Point (here 9999)

Edit-->Greeting-->Standard-->record the Greeting and use My personal greeting

Call Routing-->Forwarded Routing Rules--->Add New-->Display name-->Save-->Add New-->Forwarding station-->Equals--->9999(CTI Route pint extension)

I think this should help you out :-)

HTH

Thanks

Vidit

P.S Please rate helpful Posts

Ok, maybe I am missing something. There is a DN already setup for this, but no CTI route. Is there a way for me to see exactly how the call is being routed?

you mean there is a DN setup in the CUCM?; what is this DN given to, if to a phone it will not help. You need to add a new dummy DN like Vidit said.

Now this new DN given to the CTI route point needs to be 3rd member of the Hunt group that currently has the other 2 phone numbers in it.

HTH

Thomas

The line (4400) is located on the 2nd button on both users phones. Does this all need to be ripped out and redone?

Thomas and Vidit,

If you configure a CTI route point with DN '9999' on the CUCM and Call Handler with extension '9999' on a Unity Connection, you do not need the 'Forward Routing Rule for extension 9999 ? The call handler will be automatically selected, when a 'CTI route point' comes in with an extension 'x' and a call handler in the unity has the same extension 'x'. I remember this is the behavior on Unity Connection.

Is it not the same with Unity ?

Guru, it works that way in Unity Connection, not sure about Unity; I guess Vidit would know, being the Unity expert here.... will need to try it out to be sure.. again upto Jason, gues he can easily try both out...

Guru,

If I understand your question, you are asking:

If I use the EXTENSION field on the Call Handler, do I need to use a ROUTING RULE in Unity?

This is the same in both Unity Connection and Unity.  If you program the extension field on a Call Handler then you do not need to use a routing rule.  You would configure the CTI Route Point to CFwd that DN to Unity and the extension will be matched in Unity...assuming the correct VM profile is assigned at the line level in CUCM on the CTI Route Point and so forth.  I actually prefer this method vs. the use of routing rules but that's just me.

Hailey

Please rate helpful posts!

Message was edited by: David Hailey To clarify, I should say that you don't need a specific (new) routing rule just for the call handler.  The default routing rules would work here.

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Jason,

Well, you've been getting some great help here from Thomas, Vidit, Guru and Hailey

and I've added my +5 for each of them

In your described scenario you could go a little more simply here. I would go ahead and create

a new Call Handler with the DN 4400 that can play the required Greeting and then use the

Hang-up or say Goodbye "after greeting" action.I would try to avoid the Hunt group and just use the

Forward no Answer and Forward Busy settings on the DN page for 4400 in CUCM to achieve the

"new" call routing you desire. If 4400 is on both phones then it's already ringing on each for Incoming calls

so you can just manipulate the Busy Trigger to route the call to Unity when both are busy by following the

Call Forward Busy setting to route to the Unity Pilot #.

Cheers!

Rob

Rob,

Will what you posted, play the message and then disconnect the call without giving the caller an option to leave a message? What settings need to be modified in the call handeler in Unity?

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Jason,

Yes, this is most possible

After Greeting

Indicate the action that Cisco Unity performs after the greeting plays:

Take Message—Cisco Unity records a message from the caller. Click the Take Message link to view the Messages page.

Send Caller To—Cisco Unity sends the call to the destination that you select:

Call Handler—Sends the call to the call handler that you select.

Directory Handler—Sends the call to directory assistance.

Greetings Administrator—Sends the call to a conversation for changing call handler greetings over the phone.

Hang Up—Disconnects the call. Use carefully; unexpected hang-ups can appear rude to callers.

Interview Handler—Sends the call to the interview handler that you select.

Sign-In—Sends the call to the subscriber logon conversation.

Subscriber—Sends the call to the subscriber that you select.

Default: Send Caller To Hang Up.

Cheers!

Rob

Cisco Unity Connection Administration

8.0.2.4.0000-12

I do not have this option.

the options I have under Call Management are:

System Call Handlers

Directory Handlers

Interview Handlers

Post Greeting Recordings

Call Routing

- Direct Routing Rules

- Forwarded Routing Rules

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: