Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCM 7965 CTL/ITL Phone Migration

carlnewton
Level 3
Level 3

Guys,

I am working on a phone migration at the moment from an 8.6 cluster in mixed mode (Security mode 1) to a 11.0 cluster in non secure (security mode 0)

8.6 cluster: PHones have ITL and CTL

11.0 cluster: PHones have ITL only

I followed the consolidation procedure from here:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/document/60716/migrating-ip-phones-between-clusters-cucm-8-and-itl-files

And phones can now move between clusters without issue. However, Ive noticed that they keep the CTL file with all the old servers in - even when registered to the new 11.0 CM.

I  can see the ITLs update to the 11.0 cluster, but the CTL stays with the old names of the 8.6 cluster.

Is this going to be an issue? I believe not, but does anyone have any experience of this?

Thanks

5 Replies 5

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

11.x does not have any new CTL to be installed on the phones with the 11.x servers, you'd need to remove the CTL if you don't want to have it. OR you'd need to enable mixed mode and then push that new CTL.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Yeah I figured as much. That's what I'm wondering though....

We don't want to run in mixed mode. So is leaving the CTL on there going to be an issue?

No, if you ever think that you *might* have to enable mixed mode, you can update the CTL on 8.6 with the 11.x servers, or if you're going to leave it on 11, you can just remove the CTL.

HTH

java

Ok, so there is no issue just leaving the CTL on there with the old servers, as long as we don't want to go mixed mode in future?

Problem is there will be quite a lot of phones. I wrote a perl script a long time ago to send XML key presses to the phones and delete the CTL/ITL, but I don't want to have to pull that back out to delete the CTL's if I don't have to.

No, right now with mixed mode set to 0, they only look at the ITL for security during registration, there are now plenty of tools from different vendors to do that, unifiedFX has one, voipintegration and uplinx as well.

HTH

java

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: