Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCM 8.5 VMware Issue

clileikis
Level 7
Level 7

Hi everyone,

I'm having an issue with CUCM 8.5 in VMware (Lab environment).  I'm able to get it installed without any issues, however after I reboot the server, network connectivity seems to be broken (unable to ping to/from the CUCM VM).  I've had no issues with 7.x or 8.0 which seem to run perfectly in this environment.

Currently testing this on VMWare Workstation.  I understand ESXi is the only supported platform but just thought I would ask on here to see if anyone else has had a chance to test this out.  Tried this on several different hardware platforms and they all seem to have the same result after a reboot.

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I had the same issue after the upgrade of my demo system from 8.0.2 to 8.5.1 running in VMware 6.5

During the install no problem at all. When CUCM starts, the network check comes back with a green OK. When you ping CUCM IP-address while it is booting then you will see replies fron the moment on it brings up eth0. This will make the "check network" test pass. From the moment the startup will pass by "starting chkpatch" IP connectivity will fail again. You can fix this by logging in CLI and set the network interface down and up again.

set network status eth0 down

set network status eth0 up

I guess this is a bug to load/init following modules during startup

Cheerio

Patrick

View solution in original post

39 Replies 39

mcasimirc63
Level 4
Level 4

You would need to set your network card to bridge mode to have CUCM appear as if its on the same network as your computer. 

Clifford McGlamry
Spotlight
Spotlight

I've got it running on VMWare server with no problems.

Cliff

mcasimirc63
Level 4
Level 4

Use ipconfig to see what ip address has been assigned to the network adapter that VMware is using

I've got the same issue. I upgraded 8.0.3 to 8.5.1. The upgrade was successful but I cannot ping the pub server or ping out. I turned off the internal ipv4 firewall and still no go. I can switch version back to 8.0.3 and works fine. I suspect VMware tools version or vmware NIC Dirver which is loaded by CUCM OS. Running VMware server 2.0.2

I had the same issue after the upgrade of my demo system from 8.0.2 to 8.5.1 running in VMware 6.5

During the install no problem at all. When CUCM starts, the network check comes back with a green OK. When you ping CUCM IP-address while it is booting then you will see replies fron the moment on it brings up eth0. This will make the "check network" test pass. From the moment the startup will pass by "starting chkpatch" IP connectivity will fail again. You can fix this by logging in CLI and set the network interface down and up again.

set network status eth0 down

set network status eth0 up

I guess this is a bug to load/init following modules during startup

Cheerio

Patrick

Patrick, you nailed it

Great observation on the startup. Sure enough I could ping eth0 when it first came up but then around the time VMware tools started it loses connectivity.

Bouncing eth0 did the trick.

Cheers

Just want to say thanks to all the folks who helped on this issue.  Bouncing the eth0 adapter seems to do the trick.  Thanks for the tip!

As an update on this, Cisco dropped a new build on 8.5(1) out last night.  Binary number of the build is:  UCSInstall_UCOS_8.5.1.11900-21.sgn.iso

Got this in the lab and tested it this morning.  Intially, it appeared that the issue was fixed.  However, after the first reboot post install, it came right back. 

Cliff

Yes, under ESXi4 this works smoothly. The VMware tools for VM-Workstation are different, so this could cause this issue. I have the same issue with Unity Connection 8.5 being pingable during start up and then to lose connectivity again. After bouncing the interface everything works like a charm.

Best

Patrick

Hi,

I would like to thanks you for this tips on how to re-enable the eth 0 on CUCM 8.5.1 running on VMware.

I have managed to installed on VMware Server and have run without any issues.

I would like to thanks Patrick for those two commands that bounce up back the eth 0 interface. Those two commands made my day.

I can finaly rest and enjoy playing with my CUCM.

Warm regards,

Johnny Kabundi.

Hi, i'm new to CUCM. When i try to install the CUCM8.5 in vmware using vSphere Client 4.0, i came across the problem of network connectivity check failure, "Default gateway name/address is invalid or gateway is not responding". And you mentioned that can fix this by logging in CLI and set the network interface down and up again, i don't know how to logging in CLI, do i need to halt the installation or ignore the problem so that i can log in in CLI? The picture below is the error message.

Thanks for this Patrick! Had the same issue in my lab and was causing me issues, but your fix worked. :)

Hi Patrick,

I have a question regarding this issue.

dose the default gateway failure affect the cucm upgrade?

thanks in advance!

Haron

@H-Alashi wrote:

Hi Patrick,

I have a question regarding this issue.

Are you really trying to run CUCM 8.5?