Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCM 8.6.2 Phones not registering 7841 and 8831

Not applicable

Hi all

I am trying to register some new phones - 7841 and 8831.  We installed the COP and Device Pack and rebooted the cluster.  Firmware defaults in the server are sip78xx.10-1-1SR2-1 and sip8831.9-3-3-5. 

These are the first phones of these models that we are trying to use.  All other devices are up and working.  I added the phones manually, auto-reg is disabled.  These new phones are both displaying the same behavior - they booted, but neither device will register.  They are both running the the same firmware version configured as the default in the server.

I have looked at some other discussions but haven't seen any solutions that match up with our issue.   Your input and ideas appreciated, thanks

25 Replies 25

Aman Soi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

can u share the show version active from CLI of CUCM ?

regds,

aman

Not applicable

Hello Aman

Sorry about the delayed reply, and thanks for your input.  Here is the output from CLI...

Active Master Version: 8.6.2.22900-9

Thanks

Hi,

It shows no Device pack is added.

can u capture the complete output from CLI and share.

regds,

aman

Not applicable

Here is what we have installed...

Active Master Version: 8.6.2.22900-9
Active Version Installed Software Options:
cmterm-cupc-dialrule-wizard-0.1.cop
cmterm-devicepack8.6.2.24123-1.cop
cmterm-9971.9-3-2-10.cop
cmterm-9951.9-3-2-10.cop
cmterm-7940-7960-sccp.8-1-2SR2.cop
cmterm-78xx.10-1-1SR2-1.cop
ciscocm.ntp_option.v1.0.cop
cmterm-devicepack8.6.2.24093-2.cop
cmterm-bfcp-e.8-6-2.cop
cmterm-7940-7960-sccp.8-0-9.cop
cmterm-7940-7960-sccp.8-1-1.cop
ciscocm.refresh_upgrade_v1.1.cop
cmterm-7945_7965-sccp.9-3-1SR2-1.cop

Manish Gogna
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Please make sure that you assign a DN to the phone for the SIP phone to register successfully.

HTH

Manish

Hello Manish

Sorry, I was away from the office.  Thanks for your input.  I assigned a DN and reset the phone.  Still hasn't registered.

The phone I tested with registered after a long delay.  I thought I had powered it off and back on, but perhaps not.  I assigned DNs to the other 8831 and the 7841 and all three phones are registered.  Thank you very much for your assistance.

Regards,

Ellen

Dragan Ilic
Level 4
Level 4

I have similar problem like yours couple of days ago...this is what helped me:

- I have upgraded 8.6.1 to 8.6.2 with adequate device pack inside (you already have this)...

- defined 78XX phones but they didn't want to register...

- I restarted cluster one more time (maybe this was needed because of upgrade - not sure) and enabled auto-register...after this phones started registering in auto mode.

I'm not saying that this is proper solution for problem - but at least it's working :)

I think that with manual definition of phones everything should work - but that wasn't the case with me...

Anyway you can try above solution and see if it's working - the main fact is that it should work 100% one or another way...

BR,

Dragan

HTH,
Dragan

MIKE DEDMON
Level 1
Level 1

I'm having this same problem. Over the weekend, I installed the latest device packs and restarted both servers in the cluster. I'm running CUCM 8.6.2 and the phones are 8831.

What's really strange is that the phone is getting incorrect info from the switch port. It's getting a DHCP address from the VLAN2 subnet, when it should be receiving an IP from the VLAN100 subnet.

VLAN2 = Data

VLAN100 = Voice

The original port config:

interface FastEthernet0/25
 description Workstations on VLAN2 - Phones on VLAN 100
 switchport access vlan 2
 switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
 switchport trunk native vlan 2
 switchport mode trunk
 switchport voice vlan 100
 srr-queue bandwidth share 10 10 60 20
 srr-queue bandwidth shape 10 0 0 0
 mls qos trust device cisco-phone
 mls qos trust cos
 auto qos voip cisco-phone
 spanning-tree portfast
end

I even changed the switch port configuration to this:

interface FastEthernet0/25
 description Workstations on VLAN2 - Phones on VLAN 100
 switchport access vlan 100
 switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
 switchport trunk native vlan 100
 switchport mode trunk
 switchport voice vlan 100
 srr-queue bandwidth share 10 10 60 20
 srr-queue bandwidth shape 10 0 0 0
 mls qos trust device cisco-phone
 mls qos trust cos
 auto qos voip cisco-phone
 spanning-tree portfast
end

VLAN 2 isn't even in the configuration, but the phone (even after a RESET) is still getting an IP from the DHCP server on VLAN2.

Very strange behavior.

Additional info:

The phone status menu is showing a continuous message of:

TFTP Timeout : SEPXXXXXXXXXXXX.cnf.xm.

No Trust List Installed.

Any suggestions / ideas would be appreciated.

Haven't tried this out but maybe the reason you're still getting a DHCP address from VLAN 2 is because you have a native vlan mismatch. The other side may still be configured with "native vlan 2" while the switch is configured with "native vlan 100".

Regards,

Yosh

HTH Regards, Yosh

I'm assuming by "the other side" that you mean the 8831. That's the strange part, after doing a full reset on the 8831, it shows the operational VLAN ID of 100 and the Admin VLAN ID of 4095. (see attached)

It must be getting this VLAN 100 info from the switch, but it still has an IP address from VLAN 2.

Weird...

My apologies, I read this way too fast and thought that the config you posted was for the uplink of the switch.

Would you be able to post the config of your switch?

Regards,

Yahsiel

HTH Regards, Yosh

See attached. 

If you have catalyst (and I think so) you only need these two commands on port connected to phone:

switchport access vlan X

switchport voice vlan Y

And you can put your QoS commands offcourse...this way you don't need to create trunk on port to phone because of voice and data vlan - switch is going to do that for you automatically by listening what device is on other end (ie CDP etc)...

BR,

Dragan

HTH,
Dragan