Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCM 8.6.2 upgrade to CUCM 10.5

Cristian Boboc
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have to upgrade a virtualized CUCM cluster (PUB, SUB1, SUB2, TFTP) version 8.6.2 SU3 to version 10.5.

As per documentation this should be a direct refresh upgrade and no need of PCD to do it.

Based on the documentation the main steps of the upgrade are:

-changing the OS to RHEL 6 (64-bit) and the Network Adapter from "Flexible" to "VMXNET 3” for the VM (shut down the VM and perform the changes)

-run ciscocm.version3-keys.cop.sgn.

-run ciscocm.free_common_space_v1.1.cop.sgn

-run the 10.5 ugrade file in following order: PUB, TFTP, SUB1, SUB2

The existing 8.6.2 OVA, 7500 users is using 2 vCPU and 80GB for each vdisk (total of 160GB).

The 10.5 OVA, 7500 users requires 1 vCPU and 110GB for the vdisk.

Does anybody know if I have to run the ciscocm.free_common_space_v1.1.cop.sgn to increase the space to 110GB on each vdisk  (even if the total size is 160GB on 2 vdisks which is more then 110GB required on 10.5 OVA)?

Cisco engineer said that this is not possible as well that I can not change the OS to RHEL 6 (64-bit) on the existing server/VM (ESXi 4.1 U3.

He recommends to create a new VM using the new OVA and use the DRS and restore process for performing the upgrade.

Any input/advise will be appreciated!

Thanks.

65 Replies 65

Hello,,

Sorry for delay answer.

Yes I increase  on all vdisk to 120 GB.

On PUB 2x 120 Gb

On SUB 2x120Gb

After you change the space pls let the space to 120, not changing to 80Gb.

Aman,

PCD does more than this. PCD is used for both upgrade and migration. What you have described is only migration. PCD is excellent for upgrades too and for other functions as well such as scheduling a reboot of your cluster, changing host names or ip address of your servers..

Please rate all useful posts

Hi AOK,

Actually, I shared the issues which I faced.

Thanks for sharing more info[+5] and utils dbreplication rebuild command.Actually, I never came across this command.

[+5] to Carlo for sharing output.

regds,

aman

PCD gives you a lot more than the current normal migration. PCD is the future. If you intend to continue UC then you will need to learn how to use it, otherwise you will find that jobs that you can do much easier, will be harder to perform. It is not hard to learn. I learnt how to use it by watching a youtube video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzG4kz1_hL4

There is also a very good document that shows you how to use PCD

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/unified-communications/unified-communications-manager-callmanager/118318-config-cucm-00.html

Take some time to watch the video and study the documentation, you will be better for it. The world of UC is very dynamic, hence you have to be willing to learn new things or one's skills will be outdated.

Please take time to read the cucm 8.6 OVA read me file..

It states that you shouldn't not resize the disk.

Upgrades from previous release:
 1) Power off the VM.
 2) Modify the RAM, CPU, reservations, and OS based on the changes listed above via the vmware-viclient. Note, do not attempt to change the number of disks or disk size.
 3) Modify the Network Adapter.  See “Modifying the Network Adapter” section.
 4) Save the changes
 5) Power back on the VM

Yes you can change your IP after your restore but not before it.

The success to any upgrade is planning. The customer type bank or not doesn't not really matter. What is crucial is your willingness to do due diligence to  make this as smooth as possible..

Here are the things you  need to do in the order described

1. Read your documentation. Very crucial. CUCM10.5 is a major change on all others.

You need to start by reviewing the upgrade guide, release notes, and new and changed documentation for all the steps and considerations you need to take into account for this upgrade.

NB: The upgrade guide for IM and P is merged with that of CUCM and here is the link for it..

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/upgrade/10_0_1/CUCM_BK_U4214F9D_00_upgrade-guide-cucm-100.html

Release notes found here:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/rel_notes/10_5_1/CUCM_BK_CE15D2A0_00_cucm-release-notes-1051.html

2. Plan for your license migration. Usually this involves two steps

a. Use cisco LCU (license count utility tool) to generate license report on your existing cluster. This can be downloaded from cco.filename is LCUZIP-Ver9.1.2.zip

Ensure that you install any unsed DLU and license PAKS on your cluster before you run this..

b. Next email this file obtained from lcu (this is a csv file) tool cisco licensing team licensing@cisco.com. This will confirm that your service contracts is in order prior to requesting new licenses for 10.5

c. Login in Prime License Manager after successfully migrated from 8.6 to 10.5

Use the following procedure to generate a license request.

• From the Licenses > Fulfillment page, select Generate License Request from the drop-down list under
  • Other Fulfillment Options.
  • The License Request and Next Steps window appears. Copy the selected text to your clipboard or click save it to a file on your PC and send to licensing@cisco.com to get permanent licenses

3. Document the steps you will  use for the upgrades. You can send a draft here and I will be happy to review this with you.

Ensure that you write down step by step what you will do on the day. The upgrade guide should be used to write down what you will do on the day. This is a very long upgrade, hence you need to document in detail what you will be doing.

4. Contact the relevant team to get your ESW/UCSS contract numbers. You need this to login to PUT to download your media. I was doing an upgrade recently and realised that the customers ESW contract has expired..So this is crucial.

Upgrade tasks

PCD is your best bet. Install PCD on your Esxi host. Just create a new VM for it. It makes things much easier for you..If you don't have spare capacity to create new VM then do it manually

5. Before you begin..Take a back up of your cluster.

6. VM machine sizing.

Please refer to cucm10.5 ova readme file, found on CCO. Depending on the OVA template you used for your cucm8.6, you may need to change the vm setings prior to upgrade. This is because the disk size and cpu requirements is different for cucm10.5 on some ova templates.

6a. You will need to change the vm adapter settings on your VM. This is documented in the cucm10.5 ova. Your best option is to use esxi powercli. You can download this from VMware website provided you have a valid service contract.

6b. You will need to change your guest operating system to RHEL6. This is also documented in the 10. 5 OVA

7. If your 8.6 cluster is running on VM at the moment, then just do a direct upgrade to 10.5.

NB: before you upgrade you will need to install the ff cop file on all the servers in the cluster

ciscocm.version3-keys.cop.sgn

After this upgrade your cluster starting with cucm. The upgrade guide will tell you the order of the upgrade..

7. Once upgrade is completed, perform the post upgrade tasks.

8. Develop a detailed test plan. Ensure all critical component of your customer is covered in the test plan. Test features that are critical to them

9. Finally, ensure your CV is updated. In case you need to look for another job if everything breaks: (lol)

Answer to your questions:

"As per what I see, an easy option would be to create a new virtual machine and use a DRS? but, would it work if I create the DRS on CUCM 8.6 and use it on 10.5?"

---You may create a new VM or adjust VM settings as I already discussed. If you want to create a new VM, then you will create VM with cucm10.5 ova, install cucm 10.5 on it.

You will then upgrade your current 8.6 to 10.5, take a DRS back up and go and do a DRS restore on the new 10.5 you have installed on the new VM. You cant restore 8.6 to 10.5.

"What happens to presence server? I understand I have to upgrade it too but, will the configuration be transferred to CUCM 10.5 (I mean, services associated with the menus that originally were on presence 8.6)?"

---Yes IM and P needs to match the cucm version. Yes the configuration will be transferred. You don't need to do anything. Please read the upgrade guide carefully.

"If all of the apps are on 8.6, do we need to upgrade everything to 10.5 at the same window?"

---For CUCM and IM and P, yes you have to upgrade them at the same time. The versions must match. It is advisable that you have unity connection on same version too, but not critical. I believe 8.6 unity connection will work with cucm10.5 ( I haven't checked this, so confirm it yourself)

The upgrade is a refresh upgrade. So it does take a long time and there are several reboots. The publisher is the one that takes the longest amount of time. The subscriber is about half the time it takes for the Pub to upgrade. You should be fine with a weekend maintenance widow. Friday evening to Sunday.

"If upgrade fails, can I still go back to 8.6?" Yes as long as you do not use the "free common space cop file" This is discussed in the upgrade guide as well.

It looks daunting, but if you do your home work, you will be fine and we are here to help and assist you all the way

Please refer to this thread for similar discussions:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/12319616/vm-upgrade-cucm-86-105-question

Thank you for such a great thread.  I am in the planning process of upgrading our virtualized environment from 8.5 to 10.5 (CUCM 1pub - 1sub, Unity Connections, and UCCX).   In order to cut down on the cut over time I was planning on a staged upgrade approach.  Install the .COP refresh and then install the upgrade but do NOT switch to new version.   Any know caveats to this approach?  

There is no caveat other than that this will lead to a significant down time. Refresh upgrade performs several server reboots, hence you need to plan this for a long maintenance window.

Understood.  Plan is to get this far on one weekend maintenance window and then perform the switch on the next weekend maintenance window to allow more time if needed to troubleshoot..etc.  To your point earlier in this thread, if I do my homework, issues should be minimal if not none. 

hi

i upload ver 10.5 to inactive partition (cucm pub and sub 8.6)

is there any issue to upgrade the phones 1 week after i upgrade the core to ver 10.5?

if no issue, can i shutdown the tftp service on both servers and switch version ?

its very important ....i cant upgrade the phones in same night...

tk

shoham

Ayodeji Okanlawon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Cristiboboc,

Have you completed your upgrade. Can you share with us the order that you carried this out and any lessons learnt. Did you do anything differently from what we advised?

Hi,

Yes, I did the upgrade successfully.

In addition to the regular challenges during an upgrade process I had to overcome a few more:

-no maintenance window, the organization is running 24/7 (I had to do the upgrades during the day)

-almost 300 users using EM

-no resources on the UCS servers to run additional applications (PUB, SUB, UnityX PUB on one server and SUB, TFTP, UnityX SUB on the second server)

Pre-upgrade steps:

-upgrade all the phones to CUCM 10.5 firmwares default

-delete ITL files on the phones (changed the enterprise parameter “Prepare Cluster for Rollback to pre-8.0” to True>

-registered all the phones/devices to SUB2

-take a DRS back-up

Upgrade steps:

-Install ciscocm.version3-keys.cop.sgn on the publisher

-shutdown the publisher

-change the VM specs (OS and Network Adapter)

-power on the publisher

-upgrade the PUB from 8.6.2 SU3 to 10.5

-take a DRS backup

-Shutdown the PUB

-create a new CUCM PUB using OVA 10.5 and same info as CUCM 8.6.2 (IP address, credentials, DNS, web-security info...)

-restore the back-up 10.5

-Shutdown the TFTP

-create a new TFTP 10.5 server using OVA 10.5

-upload all the files used in TFTP 8.6.2

-Shutdown SUB1

--create a new SUB1 10.5 server using OVA 10.5

-make sure that the database synchronization in new cluster 10.5 is ok (RTMT) as well all the configuration is as you want (services, Enterprise and Service Parameters)

-shutdown the SUB2; all the phones will register to SUB1 on the new cluster 10.5

-recreate the SUB 2 server using OVA 10.5

-re-register the phones/devices to new SUB2 as before the upgrade process

Considerations:

-the VT has to be enabled on the UCS serever (BIOS) in order to be able to instal RHEL 6 64-bits

-I intended to upgrade all the servers as the PUB but Cisco engineer recommended to recreate the VMs as for the OVA 7500 users the requirements is 1 x vdisk of 110 MB and the 2 x vdisks of 80MB might not be supported)

-make sure to use the same servers info when you recreate the new onces

-I didn't stop the EM service

-indeed the Cisco's documentation is not clear and complete all the time (as for OVA 7500 users)

-I upgraded the Unity Connection in the following day (SIP integration to CUCM; run the ciscocm.version3-keys.cop.sgn, upgrade to 10.5, change the VM configuration )

Good luck!

Thank you Christian for the update, However you don't need to do the steps below

Pre-upgrade steps:

--delete ITL files on the phones (changed the enterprise parameter “Prepare Cluster for Rollback to pre-8.0” to True>--------------This is only for pre8.0 systems. CUCM 8.6 supports SBD (security by default)

Hi,

Yes and no.

In case that after you recreate the new 10.5 cluster the certificates are not the same you might have to go to each phone manually and delete/reset the ITL/security files.

In my situation was something almost impossible to do and the impact would be huge.

"This is only for pre8.0 systems. CUCM 8.6 supports SBD (security by default)" - I tested on new 78xx and 8941 phones and I encountered issues registering the phones from one cluster to another one even the clusters were on same version.

So, better safe then sorry.

Resetting the phones after changing the enterprise parameter took 1-2 min (depends the phones type).

!!! This is not a controlled process. As soon the parameter will be changed and click "Save" the resetting process will start.

Christian,

Of course you are going to have problems registering a phone from a different cluster. This is because each cluster's certificate is signed by the TVS in the cluster. If you want to migrate phones from different cluster you will need to consolidate certificates on both clusters.

The parameter here deletes all ITL files on the cluster which you should not do if you are not rolling back to pre-8.0 on the same cluster. This is why the parameter says "pre8.0". It only applies to cluster that has security in use.

It is important to understand what you are doing and why you are doing it. This is to ensure that you do not create problems for yourself later on.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: