Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCM 8.6 and 9.X hardware requirements for lab study

Hi,

Dell T7400 two processor E5430 xeon qoad core. 16GB FCC ram. with intel nic card.  Please let me know call manager 8.6 and 9.0 can run on my workstation?

Thanks,

Moh

12 Replies 12

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

It will not pass hardware check if you will try to run it as bare metal hardware. If you install VMware ESXi and then virtualize your CUCM it should work OK for lab purposes, but in order for this to be supported you need to ensure your hardware meets the spec based guidelines listed here:

http://docwiki.cisco.com/wiki/UC_Virtualization_Supported_Hardware#VMware_Requirements

HTH, please rate all useful posts!

Chris

Hi Chris,

I want think you for your quick response.  Just want make sure it will work in my work station :-)  Yes sir I will install ESXi 1st in my workstation.  Could you please let me know if there is image/install for unity?  I need creat lab at my home study and work at same time.

Thanks,
Moh

Which Unity do you mean? Unity Connection or Unity enterprise (windows)?

Talking about Unity Connection you need to obtain bootable media to install it (you can't download bootable one from CCO account! Those images are used for the upgrade)

To get bootable media you have to use PUT tool. Please follow the guide

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_qanda_item09186a00802262ed.shtml

br,
Vadym

I am pretty sure he means Unity Connection, as there is no Unity 9.X.  You cannot download a bootable images from Cisco, those need to be ordered, Cisco does not sell demo versions, etc only NFR (not for resell kits) for partners.  If you work for Cisco partner you can purchase NFR kit, otherwise you need to buy Cisco CUWL licenses to be entitled for Unity Connection software or purchase unity connection voicemail user licenses.

HTH, please rate all useful posts!

Chris

2Chris:

1) "I am pretty sure he means Unity Connection, as there is no Unity 9.X"

"Dell T7400 two processor E5430 xeon qoad core. 16GB FCC ram. with intel nic card. Please let me know call manager 8.6 and 9.0 can run on my workstation?"

In the original post nothing is mentioned about CUC. Only CUCM 8/9.

Where do you see Unity 9?

2) You cannot download a bootable images from Cisco, those need to be orderedYou cannot download a bootable images from Cisco, those need to be ordered

If you order it you CAN download bootable media via PUT

1. Well, listed versions were 8.6 and 9.0, only Unity Connection has these versions

2. Sure you can download bootable via PUT, but that means you are upgrading with valid UCSS and have older releases installed, from what I gather here this was not the case. I could be wrong.

In either case I think the asked questions have been answered, let us know by rating the posts!

Chris

You can mount the Callmanager 8.6.2 Image and change the vmWare settings to at least: 4 GB Ram, 1 CPU and 160 GB HDD, then at the installation prompt you can choose between:

• Cisco Unified Communications Manager
  • Cisco Unity Connection

regards

Marc

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Mohamed,

Just wanted to add this tip to the great info from Chris, Vadym & Marc (+5 each)

In most cases the "upgrade" .iso available on CCO is only good for upgrading

as they are non-bootable (ie: you can't build a new CUCM with them). CUCM

8.0(3) available on CCO is a bit of an anomoly in that it can be used for both

"upgrades" and new installs. This is not generally the case   For your move

from 6.1 either would be suitable.

Before You Begin

#

In Cisco Unified Communications Manager 8.0(3), the image available  for  download from Cisco.com is a bootable image that can be burned to  DVD  and used for both upgrades and fresh installs.  Cisco Unified   Communications Manager 8.0(3) upgrade DVDs ordered from Cisco are also   bootable for use with upgrades or fresh installs.

#

Note Follow the install instructions located here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/install/8_0_2/install/cmins802.html

#

1. Before you upgrade the software version of Cisco Unified Communications Manager, verify your current software version.

#

To do that, open Cisco Unified Communications Manager Administration. The following information displays:

#

Cisco Unified Communications Manager System version

#

Cisco Unified Communications Manager Administration version

#

2. Read the "Special Upgrade Information" section.

#

Note Cisco   recommends that you remove the bootable DVD from the DVD drive after  an  upgrade. If you reboot your system with the bootable DVD in the  drive,  your disk may be reformatted. At the completion of the upgrade,  the DVD  ejects. Confirm that the DVD ejected and remove the DVD  physically from  the DVD drive.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/rel_notes/8_0_3/cucm-rel_notes-803.html#wp1766433

Here is the related info for CUCM 8.6 as an example of what the usual restrictions/differences are;

Note For   Unified CM 8.6(2a), a non-bootable image is available for download  from  Cisco.com. This image may be downloaded to a network server  (remote  source) or burned to DVD (local source) and used for upgrades.  Unified  CM 8.6(2a) DVDs ordered from Cisco are bootable and may be used  for  fresh installs.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/rel_notes/8_6_2/cucm-rel_notes-862a.html#wp1944944

Cheers!

Rob

"I don't know how, I don't know when
But you and I will meet again " 

- Tom Petty

Rob +(5) Excellent post as usual..

Mohammed, I recently bought a dell power edge 1950 with Xeon dual core 5160 3Ghz processor. It had a 16GB RAM and 2x146GB SAS HD.  Looking at your specs, it looks higher than mine, so you should be okay

I installed VMware ESXi 5.0 and then installed my CUCM using the VM OVA templates. It runs well.

Mine was used for lab purposes, so all I did was download the ISO from cisco and made it a bootable image. You can google on how to make a non-bootable cisco ISO bootable. Most of the upgrades ISO as Rob mentioned can be usd for fresh install, you  just need to turn them into a bootable media and bingo you are good to go.

Please rate all useful posts

"opportunity is a haughty goddess who waste no time with those who are unprepared"

Hi Guys,

I want thank you all for your help WOW this is so great from cisco.  

Vadym and Chris,  Yes I was meaning unity connection.  You two guys your answers so helpfull.

Marc,  Yep with ESXi limitation 1 cpu, some folks looking for vsphere version for me.

By way I want thank you all again,

Moh

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hey Deji,

Thanks for adding your real world insights here buddy (+5 )

Cheers!

Rob

"I don't know how, I don't know when
But you and I will meet again " 

- Tom Petty

Thanks Rob..We have to learn to survive in the jungle!

"opportunity is a haughty goddess who waste no time with those who are unprepared"