Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCM 8.6 EXtension Mobility Logging

robertja
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Is there any way to track individual login/logouts of particular users in CUCM 8.6 ?

Cheers

John                  

13 Replies 13

Harmit Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi John,

Not sure if the following addresses your query:

Finding    an Actively Logged-In Device

The Cisco Extension Mobility and Cisco Extension Mobility Cross Cluster  features keep a record of the devices to which users are actively logged  in. For the Cisco Extension Mobility feature, the actively logged-in  device report tracks the local phones that are actively logged in by  local users; for the Cisco Extension Mobility Cross Cluster feature, the  actively logged-in device report tracks the local phones that are  actively logged in by remote users.

Cisco Unified Communications Manager provides a specific search window for searching for devices to which users are logged in. Follow these steps to search for a specific device or to list all devices for which users are actively logged in.

Procedure

1. Choose Device > Phone.
  2. The Find and List Phones window displays. Records from an active (prior) query may also display in the window.

3. Select the  Actively Logged In Device Report from the Related Links drop-down list  box in the upper, right corner of the Find and List Phones window and  click Go. The Find and List Actively Logged In Devices window displays.
  4. To find all actively logged-in device records in the database, ensure the dialog box is empty; go to Step 4.
  5. To filter or search records
    • From the first drop-down list box, select a search parameter.
    • From the second drop-down list box, select a search pattern.
    • Specify the appropriate search text, if applicable.
    • Note     : To add additional search criteria, click the + button. When you add criteria, the system searches for a record that  matches all criteria that you specify. To remove criteria, click the - button to remove the last added criterion or click the Clear Filter button to remove all added search criteria.

6. Click Find.
  7. All matching records  display. You can change the number of items that display on each page by  choosing a different value from the Rows per Page drop-down list box.

8. From the list of records that display, click the link for the record that you want to view.
  9. Note     : To reverse the sort order, click the up or down arrow, if available, in the list header.

The window displays the item that you choose.

Regards,

Harmit.

Can you run the Actively Logged In Device Report from the CLI?

The other SQL query is interesting, but I just want the same data as the Actively Logged In Device Report.

Thanks

robertja
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks but that only displys the actively logged in users, I need an historical report on a particular user.

Ayodeji Okanlawon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

You can this ldap query, and it will return user logged in time and login duration. The time is in epoch format, so you will need to ocnvert it to normal time. If you google epoch you will see links to where you can convert the time.

run sql select eu.userid, emd.logintime, emd.loginduration, emd.datetimestamp from extensionmobilitydynamic emd inner join enduser eu on emd.fkenduser_lastlogin=eu.pkid

The query below returned EM login for a single user

run sql select eu.userid, emd.logintime, emd.loginduration, emd.datetimestamp from extensionmobilitydynamic emd inner join enduser eu on emd.fkenduser_lastlogin=eu.pkid where (eu.userid='avi.uri')

userid      logintime  loginduration datetimestamp

=========== ========== ============= =============

avi.uri 1349943827 0             1349943826

from the below website, the longintime coverts to

11 Oct 2012 08:23:47 UTC

http://www.epochconverter.com/

Please rate all useful posts

"'Nature is too thin a screen, the glory of the omnipresent God bursts through it everywhere"-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Please rate all useful posts

Hi,

This may sound stupid, but where do i run this command?

This may sound stupid, but where do i run this command?

On thee server command line. (either at the console or via SSH)

GTG

Please rate all helpful posts.

Description of loginduration from

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/datadict/8_6_1/datadictionary_861.pdf

Type: long (Null OK)

Default Value: NULL

Rule (RI-41):

Type: Validation (Insert/Update)

Rule Name: (obsolete) Device Login Duration Restriction

Description: Login Duration is only valid on devices supporting Extension Mobility

So you are not able to see login / Logout activity.

It is only possibly to see logon time.

/Johnny

very useful , is anyway I could run a command to see on a multiple uc capps cluster  where we need to know how EM users are logged on at a time ?

anyway this is very useful

Sam

What is the SQL query to run the Actively Logged IN Device Report from the CLI?

Gordon Ross
Level 9
Level 9

I don't think CUCM records login/logout history in an easilly consumable fashion. (I'm sure it'll be in some of the CUCM logs, but extractng & parsing is left as an exercise for the reader )

I'd do it by changing the EM Service URL to point to my own web page, and use that web page to keep track of logins/logouts. (I.e. do it outside of CUCM)

GTG

Please rate all helpful posts.

Gordon I know this is super old but +5 man!

Yosh

HTH Regards, Yosh

rolearne
Level 1
Level 1

Robertja,

I hope someone has answered your question by now, but this was a good question so I'll break it down a bit here to help out anyone else who may have the same or similar questions in the future.

As indicated previously, yes, you can see a user logging in and out of Extension Mobility / Extension Mobility Cross Cluster. To do so, follow this process:

I.             Enable detailed traces on the cluster and gather the following logs / traces via the Real Time Monitoring Tool (RTMT) during the time period the user supposedly logged in / out: (1) Call Manager / CCM (for registration) (2) Tomcat and Tomcat Security (3) Extension Mobility (4) Extension Mobility Application. Make sure to download uncompressed logs or de-compress all the files after download them. You will need them for the next step.

II.            Use "Notepad++" or something similar to search through the trace files for the User ID you are interested in. If the user has done anything related to extension mobility during the timeframe in question, it will show up in the traces. Example:

III.           Here we see part of a request user "91934942" so we can infer that the user has initiated an EM / EMCC login request. Take note of "12347" as it is tracking this particular request along several lines of the log file. If you are interested in EMCC, take note of the "US-CUCM-CL4-SDC" as it the visiting cluster involved in this request and "253739" is also tracking this request.

2012-07-20 08:10:47,835 INFO  [http-8443-33] EMServiceServlet - 124347 : 253739 : US-CUCM-CL4-SDC: processEmccRequest: Received EMCC Home Cluster Login Request for :91934942

IV.          A few lines down in the trace file we see the message below. We determined that "124347" is tracking this request, so we know that this message is relevant to our user. More importantly, we see the phone the user is trying to log in with "deviceName: SEPAA187AA9F919" which will give us information like device pool, device profile, SURL subscription status, etc. Also note "2012-07-20 08:10:47,871" which gives us the time this event occurred, down to the thousandth of a second. This is very useful when tracking issues across multiple nodes, or in the case of EMCC, multiple nodes.

2012-07-20 08:10:47,871 DEBUG [http-8443-33] EMServiceServlet  - 124347: 253739: UC-EU-CL4-RBS: performHomeDeviceLogin for deviceName: SEPA4187529F204

V.            If you are troubleshooting, watch out for the tracking number changing at different steps in the process. The line below identifies all of the tracking numbers (counters) that have been used thus far for this request. Notepad++ can highlight text, it is recommended that you highlight counters as they will easily allow you to identify portions what output is relevant to the issue you are working on. It is recommended that you highlight anything that is UNIQUE to the issue you are working on, such as the User ID and Phone name. Tracing what is happening, whether it is an extension mobility login or a phone call requires patience and experience, but if you follow the steps laid out here you will eventually navigate through traces very quickly and gain a much better understanding of what is happening. If you find this too easy and want something more advanced, try looking through some SDL traces using the same process and you will gain an even better understanding of what is happening.

2012-07-20 08:10:48,661 INFO  [http-8443-33] Counters  - 124347: Counters -->124347,67277,9220,7707,33,0,0,40298,1419,0,1313,348,4019,-405,672

VI.          So, using the logs in CUCM, you have not only confirmed that the user has attempted login but seen that you can follow process in the logs to pinpoint a failure very easily. The exceptional logging in Cisco's Collaboration suite is one of the things that really make it straightforward to troubleshoot. I hope this has helped you.

VII.         Notes: (1) the term trace and log are used interchangeably. (2) While the examples I provided below are for Extension Mobility Cross Cluster (only trace examples I had on hand at the moment) the process will be very similar or identical for regular Extension Mobility as well (and for other CUCM traces). (3) I would also recommend reading up on the call flow of extension mobility if you are troubleshooting an issue, between the call flow and the traces you should be able to troubleshoot 90% of the issues you face. (4) If your employer or customer has a Cisco SMARTnet contract you can always open a low-priority case with Cisco TAC and asking them to assist you in identifying this information. If you get them the logs they ask you for you will not be disappointed, the engineers working for Cisco TAC are very skilled at what they do.

robin
Level 1
Level 1

Hi John,

There is a solution for this. it is called ALM PRO+.

ALM PRO+ allows companies to view ExtensionMobility usage and is able to run detailed reports for usage and management purposes.

• Centralised administration for all sites/locations using ALM PRO
  • License management and control
  • Advanced reporting on EM usage
  • Extended management reporting options
  • Calculating work space usage
  • Manage user and group profiles
  • Web-based administration

Drop me a PM for more information

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: