cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

***CUCM 8.6 Registration Load balancing ***

Hi Everyone,

I have several question regarding CUCM IC Groups

Questions:

1. I have 3 servers in a cluster that can support 7500 user each, sometimes I see phones registering with the Secondary server while the primary only has 3000 phones registered with cpu levels below 10%. What are some of the reason phone will register with the Secondary server while the primary sever is active?

2. What if my primary server fails and had 6000 phones registered while both the Secondary and Tertiary server supporting upto 4000 phones indiviually. Will the Secondary server only take 3500 phones(with the previous 4000 phones) that previously unregistered from the Primary server or much more? If the Secondary server only takes the 3500 phones will it automatically tell the Tertiary server to register the remaining 2500 phones and if soo are the numbers put up by CISCO exact or close. If soo I would never put 3 CUCM's that support that many phones in One UC group to avoid the Secondary Server potentially be swaped.

3. Can some please explain why Cisco IP Phones have 6 streams when you access an IP Phone through the web. Cisco says phones can accept upto 3 indivuall streams, wich means one call.

4. How can I find out how many phones have web access enabled prefferable via cucm sql commands. What is the best way of learning Mysql to better learn how to query Publisher?

5. We have a service provisoned to all our phones, the problem is that inorder to fully subscribe the phone to the service i need to go inside the phone service and select the subscriber to a specific application within the service. Is their a way to tell all the phones to subscriber to this service?

Thanks for  your answers in advance and I will have more questions at the end of this week I hope the answers will help you thats if they answered.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Ayodeji Okanlawon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

1. I have 3 servers in a cluster that can support 7500 user each, sometimes I see phones registering with the Secondary server while the primary only has 3000 phones registered with cpu levels below 10%. What are some of the reason phone will register with the Secondary server while the primary sever is active?   

Ans: This is an indication of a network failure or a broken tcp connection. When you look at CUCM logs, the phones will inform the secondary CUCM why they have registered. So I suggest you investigate this a bit further as you may have some network issues.

2. What if my primary server fails and had 6000 phones registered while both the Secondary and Tertiary server supporting upto 4000 phones indiviually. Will the Secondary server only take 3500 phones(with the previous 4000 phones) that previously unregistered from the Primary server or much more? If the Secondary server only takes the 3500 phones will it automatically tell the Tertiary server to register the remaining 2500 phones and if soo are the numbers put up by CISCO exact or close. If soo I would never put 3 CUCM's that support that many phones in One UC group to avoid the Secondary Server potentially be swaped.

Ans: This would spell disaster and wouldnt be the way to design your  network. As a rule of thumb your redundant server must be able to support the load on your primary server. So if you have a Primary server running 6,000 phones and your backup can only support 3,000 phones then you have not designed your solution well..here is a note from CUCM SRND on load balancing

++++Load Balancing ++++

In Unified CM clusters with the 1:1 redundancy scheme, device registration and call processing services can be load-balanced across the primary and backup call processing subscriber.

Normally a backup server has no devices registered to it unless its primary is unavailable. This makes it easier to troubleshoot a deployment because there is a maximum of four primary call processing subscriber nodes that will be handling the call processing load at a given time. Further, this potentially simplifies configuration by reducing the number of Unified CM redundancy groups and device pools.

In a load-balanced deployment, up to half of the device registration and call processing load can be moved from the primary to the secondary subscriber by using the Unified CM redundancy groups and device pool settings. In this way each primary and backup call processing subscriber pair provides device registration and call processing services to as many as half of the total devices serviced by this pair of call processing subscribers. This is referred to as 50/50 load balancing. The 50/50 load balancing model provides the following benefits:

Load sharing — The registration and call processing load is distributed on multiple servers, which can provide faster response time.

Faster failover and failback — Because all devices (such as IP phones, CTI ports, gateways, trunks, voicemail ports, and so forth) are distributed across all active subscribers, only some of the devices fail-over to the secondary subscriber if the primary subscriber fails. In this way, you can reduce by 50% the impact of any server becoming unavailable.

To plan for 50/50 load balancing, calculate the capacity of a cluster without load balancing, and then distribute the load across the primary and backup subscribers based on devices and call volume. To allow for failure of the primary or the backup server, do not let the total load on the primary and secondary subscribers exceed that of a single subscriber server

5. We have a service provisoned to all our phones, the problem is that inorder to fully subscribe the phone to the service i need to go inside the phone service and select the subscriber to a specific application within the service. Is their a way to tell all the phones to subscriber to this service?

Ans: You can use enterprise subscription. With this any phone added to the network will be automatically enabled for the service.

4. How can I find out how many phones have web access enabled prefferable via cucm sql commands. What is the best way of learning Mysql to better learn how to query Publisher?

Ans: Hmm, I may be able to work out a command for you..To be able to run SQL queries you need to understand SQL and then learn about informix database structure..You can use online resources to leanr about sql and sql commands...You can also use this exellent blog by William Bell. I spent about a week studying the blog in  my attempt to learn sql queries for CUCM

http://www.ucguerrilla.com/search/label/CUCM%20SQL%20Query

Please rate all useful posts

"'Nature is too thin a screen, the glory of the omnipresent God bursts through it everywhere"-Ralph Waldo Emerson

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Wrong forum, post in "voice - IP telephony". You can move your post using the actions panel on the right.

thanks for the heads-up

Ayodeji Okanlawon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Ans: This is an indication of a network failure or a broken tcp connection. When you look at CUCM logs, the phones will inform the secondary CUCM why they have registered. So I suggest you investigate this a bit further as you may have some network issues.

Ans: This would spell disaster and wouldnt be the way to design your  network. As a rule of thumb your redundant server must be able to support the load on your primary server. So if you have a Primary server running 6,000 phones and your backup can only support 3,000 phones then you have not designed your solution well..here is a note from CUCM SRND on load balancing

++++Load Balancing ++++

In Unified CM clusters with the 1:1 redundancy scheme, device registration and call processing services can be load-balanced across the primary and backup call processing subscriber.

Normally a backup server has no devices registered to it unless its primary is unavailable. This makes it easier to troubleshoot a deployment because there is a maximum of four primary call processing subscriber nodes that will be handling the call processing load at a given time. Further, this potentially simplifies configuration by reducing the number of Unified CM redundancy groups and device pools.

In a load-balanced deployment, up to half of the device registration and call processing load can be moved from the primary to the secondary subscriber by using the Unified CM redundancy groups and device pool settings. In this way each primary and backup call processing subscriber pair provides device registration and call processing services to as many as half of the total devices serviced by this pair of call processing subscribers. This is referred to as 50/50 load balancing. The 50/50 load balancing model provides the following benefits:

Load sharing — The registration and call processing load is distributed on multiple servers, which can provide faster response time.

Faster failover and failback — Because all devices (such as IP phones, CTI ports, gateways, trunks, voicemail ports, and so forth) are distributed across all active subscribers, only some of the devices fail-over to the secondary subscriber if the primary subscriber fails. In this way, you can reduce by 50% the impact of any server becoming unavailable.

To plan for 50/50 load balancing, calculate the capacity of a cluster without load balancing, and then distribute the load across the primary and backup subscribers based on devices and call volume. To allow for failure of the primary or the backup server, do not let the total load on the primary and secondary subscribers exceed that of a single subscriber server

Ans: You can use enterprise subscription. With this any phone added to the network will be automatically enabled for the service.

Ans: Hmm, I may be able to work out a command for you..To be able to run SQL queries you need to understand SQL and then learn about informix database structure..You can use online resources to leanr about sql and sql commands...You can also use this exellent blog by William Bell. I spent about a week studying the blog in  my attempt to learn sql queries for CUCM

http://www.ucguerrilla.com/search/label/CUCM%20SQL%20Query

"'Nature is too thin a screen, the glory of the omnipresent God bursts through it everywhere"-Ralph Waldo Emerson

aokanlawon wrote:

Ans: Hmm, I may be able to work out a command for you..To be able to run SQL queries you need to understand SQL and then learn about informix database structure.

The CUCM Database Data Dictionary is your friend here. See

http://developer.cisco.com/web/axl-developer/latest-version Note that in the CUCM DB, Phone Services are called telecasterservices.

GTG

Please rate all helpful posts.

Thansk for providing the documents and the quick reply, however Number 5.

To clarify my question;

We already have the service provisioned to everyuser. This service has upto 6 different applications when you the service. What I want to know is can I subscribe everyuser with this app inside the service. How i do it Go to settins and service and enter it find the specific app and press a subscribe button

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: