Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCM Direcroty Services - confused

allahverdiyev
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I was doing research about cucm phone, directory services. I am confused with the different configuration pages and could not find relation among them. I did not know which part exactly is doing what.

From this perspective could you please explain me the differences and which part exactly does what:

1. URL Directories in Enterprise Parameters.

2. URL Services in Enterprise Parameters.

3. Device>DeviceSettings>Corporate Directory

4. Service Provisioning in Phone configuration page.

5. UC Service Profile in End User configuration page.

For example, I could not understand if I can define url in URL Directories to search the users, what does Corporate Directory do then? As it has also Service URL Application:Cisco/CorporateDirectory.

How about Service Profile assigning to the user. What is it exactly for?

Regards

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Correct sir.

Remember to click on “update subscription “

to apply the change.

Regards

Carlo

Please rate all helpful posts "The more you help the more you learn"

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Hi,

1. URL Directories in Enterprise Parameters. - Is the URL where IP phones point to access the Corporate directory .

2.URL Services in Enterprise Parameters. -  Is the URL that IP Phones use to access all ip phone services such as Extensiono Mobility and others (On old models the URL is accessible through "Service Butto", on new models through settings button)

3. Device>DeviceSettings>Corporate Directory. I guess you mean " IP Phone Services"  -- You can subscribe a separated Directory to some IP  Phones configuring a dedicated services pointing to a particular URL (External Server)

4. Service Provisioning in Phone configuration page.-- Some models che retrive service list through an external configuration server while other models  (Eg. 7960) can retreive service list from Enterprise Parameters value only .

5. UC Service Profile in End User configuration page. - This is basically for jabber clients.

HTH

Regards

Carlo

Thanks for the reply Carlo.
If I have different URL Directory in Enterprise parameters and in Ip Phone Services, what will happen? I see Ip Phone service - Corporate Directory has Service URL field, which I guess points also Corporate Directory. So URL Directories also points Corporate Directory..what is the difference?

Hi,

Basically are the same url but, in newer version of cucm, URL for directories is an enterprise service subscription.

Old phone models , still need the directory's url in the configuration pulled from cucm (eg 7940/7060) using enterprise parameter while newer model receive the directory through internal service (Ip phone service)

Please let me know if it fits to your query.

Thanks

Regards

Carlo

I also read URL directories in enterprise parameters is for external services, if you want to have custom external direcroty, you should change the provision to both and use URL directories. Is that correct?

Hi,

>From the Cucm Admin guide:

Services Provisioning From the drop-down list box, choose how the phone will support the services: •Internal—The phone uses the phone configuration file to support the service. Choose this option or Both for Cisco-provided default services where the Service URL has not been updated; that is, the service URL indicates Application:Cisco/; for example, Application:Cisco/CorporateDirectory. Choose Internal or Both for Cisco-signed Java MIDlets because Cisco-signed Java MIDlets are provisioned in the configuration file. •External URL—Choosing External URL indicates that the phone ignores the services in the phone configuration file and retrieves the services from a Service URL. If you configured a custom Service URL for a service, including a Cisco-provided default service, you must choose either External URL or Both; if you choose Internal in this case, the services that are associated with the custom URLs do not work on the phone. •Both—Choosing Both indicates that the phone support both the services that are defined in the configuration file and external applications that are retrieved from service URLs.

That means that if you want to let the phone pointing to an external directory, you can do in different ways:

Through a dedicated IP Phone Service or changing the URL on enterprise parameter.

HTH

Regards

Carlo

External URL—Choosing External URL indicates that the phone ignores the services in the phone configuration file and retrieves the services from a Service URL
- Where does phone configuration file retrieve the source URL from?
- It still says either configuration file or Service URL ( I guess means IP Phone Service). It does not say change the parameter in enterprise parameters.
What I understood, you change the Service URL field of Corporate Directory Service in Device Settings for external source.

Correct me please if I am wrong.

Hi,

Sorry for mistyping my previous post.

The default directory service url is Application:Cisco/CorporateDirectory which means take the directory from the cucm.

Newer IP phone model, takes the directory from a predefined IP Phone service called “Corporate Directory” and the service URL value on that service is specified as I mentioned above.

If you modify that URL, you should change the ”Service Provisioning” value in order to let  IP Phones to point to the specified  Url. 

Old IP phones still point to the Directory  URL specified on Enterprise parameter.

The corporate directory service is globally subscribed to all ip phones so, when users press the phone directory button, the IP phone points to the url specified on that service.

Thanks for nice rating and Hope I have been more clear than before. If not please let me know.

Regards

Carlo 

So simply, if I would like to change the url, I have to edit the Service URL in Application:Cisco/CorporateDirector and set the Service provisioning "both". If the phones are newer models, I can ignore the Enterprise Parameter, right?

Correct sir.

Remember to click on “update subscription “

to apply the change.

Regards

Carlo