cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCM drops one in six pings

martinbuffleo
Level 1
Level 1

I have just noticed this morning that both me Call Manager servers are droping one in 6 pings.

Both servers are in different locations. The switches they are connected to show no errors on the interfaces and are set to full 100.

Pings are from my switch so only travel 2meters down a CAT6 cable.

Is this expected behaviour from a Call Manager Server?                  

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Martin - this is normal nothing to worry about. This is due to CUCM firewall policy rate limiting the ICMP traffic. IOS devices transmit ping at a faster rate than a normal PC. So you will notice the ping dropped from IOS devices. However, if you ping from a PC it will not show any drops.

Again there is nothing wrong. You can even check the rule by issuing command from CUCM CLI : utils firewall ipv4 list
It could be slightly different dont have a CLI in front of me. You can even turn it off but not recommended.

Terry

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

View solution in original post

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Believe it or not, this is expected. CUCM runs IP Tables as a firewall and the rules limit the number of ICMP Echo/Echo Replies. In my experience, you get around an 80% response rate.

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify helpful or correct answers.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

martinbuffleo
Level 1
Level 1

Its only happening on my call managers and both call managers are in different data centres.

and the pings are being done from the switches local to the Call Manager i'm pinging.

Martin - this is normal nothing to worry about. This is due to CUCM firewall policy rate limiting the ICMP traffic. IOS devices transmit ping at a faster rate than a normal PC. So you will notice the ping dropped from IOS devices. However, if you ping from a PC it will not show any drops.

Again there is nothing wrong. You can even check the rule by issuing command from CUCM CLI : utils firewall ipv4 list
It could be slightly different dont have a CLI in front of me. You can even turn it off but not recommended.

Terry

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

I am seeing clean pings from my PC's

Thanks for the informative replies

Terry..Excellent reply..Something to learn every day..(+5)..Hope you are well..

Please rate all useful posts

"opportunity is a haughty goddess who waste no time with those who are unprepared"

Please rate all useful posts

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Believe it or not, this is expected. CUCM runs IP Tables as a firewall and the rules limit the number of ICMP Echo/Echo Replies. In my experience, you get around an 80% response rate.

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify helpful or correct answers.

Same here packet drop at 6 ping at the same time the Response of the CUCM publisher is slow.

Please help.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: