Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCM Failed RU Upgrade 9.1 -> 11.5

Simon Battye
Level 2
Level 2

Hi,

I'm attempting a trial upgrade of CUCM from version 9.1 to 11.5 just to see if i encounter any problems in advance of the actual upgrade.

We have built a new CUCM Publisher based on a DRS Restore of the original, this server sits on VMWare (HP Compute, not UCS) on an isolated network, we can reach it using NAT/PAT rules but it does not have access to any of the other unified communications applications, it does have access to NTP and DNS.

So i installed the version 3 keys, checked space on the inactive partition, changed RHEL 5 to RHEL 6 and also changed the network adaptor to VMXNET3.

From here i progressed with the upgrade, 3 hours or so passed and it looked like it had completed the installing the database components but then i suddenly see:

**Error detected in post-install phase. Trying to restore the system to the active version**

CUCM boots back into the active partition and there is nothing on the inactive partition, i've downloaded the logs to SFTP and attached the install.log but can't see anything obvious. Could it be something simple like the server checking DNS A Records and PTR Records?

The main reason for the test was to see if i come up against the dial plan installer preventing the upgrade (which i've come across in previous installations) this error seems to be different though.

Thanks, Simon

10 Replies 10

Deepak Rawat
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Did you install the ciscocm.refresh_upgrade_<latest_version>.cop.sgn which is also required since this is a Refresh Upgrade.

Regards

Deepak

Deepak,

Is this required for an upgrade from 9.1? I'm sure i read that this was required if you were upgrading from version 8.X?

Thanks, Simon 

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/upgrade/11_5_1/cucm_b_upgrade-guide-cucm-115/cucm_b_upgrade-guide-cucm-115_chapter_010001.html#task_9947532243F8E58F76B93ABD5E18D994

Regards

Deepak

Deepak,

Thank you - i wasn't aware that this was needed, i'll install and try again.

Thanks, Simon

Deepak,

I installed the ciscocm.refresh_upgrade_v1.5.cop.sgn file but the install failed, it stated that the COP file was not required because the current version 9.1(2) has all the changes that would have been installed by the COP file.

I downloaded this version from the CUCM 9.1 section, the same file is also listed in the CUCM 11 section; there is no ciscocm.refresh COP in the 11.5 section of Cisco's website. I'm presuming this is the latest version.

Thanks, Simon

Yes, that is required if you're upgrading from a version previous to 8.6, to CUCM 8.6 or higher.

The COP file is NOT applicable for this upgrade path, and as Simon wrote, even CUCM will reject the installation of the file.

The README from the COP file clearly says so:

To upgrade from Release 8.5(x) or earlier to Release 8.6(x) or later, you must apply this patch before initiating the upgrade.

Simon, I'd definitely try to get NTP and DNS working in the lab environment, before testing again, not sure what OVA you're using, but you might also need to add 2 more GB of vRAM for 11.5, and I don't see that mentioned. I'm assuming the HW which you're using, even if not a UCS, does meet the HW specs for Cisco support, correct?

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Thanks Jamie.

No, i didn't amend the VM specification to match 11.X OVA.

I can easily add 2GB of RAM and test again but it looks like the HDD needs to be increased from 80GB to 110GB. (It's the 7500 user template)

Last time i came across this situation, i believe the Cisco recommendation was to build a new VM using the OVA your looking to go to, install the current version on that VM, DRS restore and then upgrade to the new version.

Do you know if this is still the case?

Did you review the upgrade guide and RN where those changes are explained in the pre-upgrade tasks???

You can perform those changes and keep the current VMs, the documentation explains this, I also show the how-to on this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ml_z4YUgsBw&list=PLFuOESqSTxEvZChqWgAJanctohRMe99CR&index=11&t=755s

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Jamie,

Thanks for getting back to me.

I've been through the release notes, upgrade guides and the compatibility matrix but still having problems with this.

Here are the details:

• Current VM Spec is:
    • 8GB RAM
    • 2 vCPU
    • 110GB HDD
      • This is inline with what is required of 11.5.1 based on a  7500 user OVA.
  • There is more than 25GB available on the common partition
  • Version 3 Keys COP file has been installed and visible on a show version active
  • I'm able to access NTP
  • I'm able to access DNS and resolve/Ping the servers hostname
  • The compatibility matrix confirms that i can upgrade from 9.1(SU2) to 11.5.1 (SU1)

The error i'm getting from the install seems to be:

12/22/2016 18:59:40 component_install|File:/opt/cisco/install/bin/component_install:821, Function: exec_progmeter(), /opt/cisco/install/bin/progmeter failed (1)|<LVL::Error>
12/22/2016 18:59:40 appmanager.sh|Internal Error, File:/usr/local/bin/base_scripts/appmanager.sh:276, Function: refresh_upgrade(), failed to refresh_upgrade infrastructure_post components|<LVL::Critical>
12/22/2016 18:59:40 post_install|File:/opt/cisco/install/bin/post_install:1030, Function: install_applications(), /usr/local/bin/base_scripts/appmanager.sh -refresh-upgrade failed (1)|<LVL::Error>
12/22/2016 18:59:40 post_install|Exiting with result 1|<LVL::Info>
12/22/2016 18:59:40 post_install|INSTALL_TYPE="Refresh Upgrade"|<LVL::Debug>
12/22/2016 18:59:40 post_install|Process refresh upgrade failure|<LVL::Info>

Looking through the forums, i can't see anyone else that has come across:

component_install|File:/opt/cisco/install/bin/component_install:821

Do you know what this relates to, i'm struggling to see what is causing this now.

Thanks, Simon

I managed to get this upgraded eventually!

Firstly i tried running the upgrade with the latest GB Dial Plan installed which failed also.

After this i deleted the route patterns, route filters and uninstalled the dial plan. I ran the upgrade after this and it upgraded OK to the inactive partition.

Thanks, Simon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: