Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCM Hard Disk Replacement

nibinrodrigues
Level 1
Level 1

Dear All,

I am having CUCM ver 8.6 running on MCS 7845H2 (HP) with 4 Hard Disk. After system reboot I received  follwoing message and server is rebooting continously. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Physicaldrive 1:1 (box 1:bay 1, 146 GB): OK
Physicaldrive 1:1 (box 1:bay 2, 146 GB): OK
Physicaldrive 1:1 (box 1:bay 3, 146 GB): Rebuilding
Physicaldrive 1:1 (box 1:bay 4, 146 GB): OK

Machine Passed harddisk checks
configuring 7845H2-2333 machine
checking HP machine's BIOS version
no block devices found

Error

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I replaced hard disk, but now luck. 

I removed the hard drive in bay 3 then after warning system boots normally. 

I connected the hard disk after booting the server but still bay 3 is having issue.

Kindly guide me in adding the new Hard drive successfully 

Do I need to perform any HP Utility ? I read in forum that hard disk can hot swap and raid will rebuild automatically. 

Thanks

Nibin Rodrigues

4 Replies 4

Wilson Samuel
Level 7
Level 7

How long it has been in the Rebuilding state?? Was it working when it rebooted and got into this state?

It may be that HDD is faulty, sometimes it just shows the Amber LED or sometimes it simply doesnt detect in the BIOS.

Having said that, I have often (to test) taken out and replaced a new HDD or a different HDD, and usually it takes hours (4 -5) also it depends on the size of the HDD, larger the HDD, the longer it takes.

You should not need to run any utility to "Re-build the failed HDD if it is RAID 1 or higher.

Regards

Hi,

Thanks for the prompt reply

I tried with new hard disk, but the result is same  If I remove the hard disk from bay 3 system boots normaly. But if i shutdown the Server and insert harddisk in Bay 3 its show 

no block devices found 

And server will reboots, and its repeats after hard disk check.  Please see the attachment.

In my previous post I had attached the screenshot. 

"if I remove the hard disk from bay 3 system boots normaly. But if i shutdown the Server and insert harddisk in Bay 3 its show 

no block devices found
"

It mostly is a hardware issue (SCSI Card or SAS/SCSI Card) and mostly needs a new Server Hardware.

If you still have warranty on this, then I would want to raise an RMA Ticket on it, and get a replacement.

At the same time, can you try putting the HDD into a new slot (if available) and "Expand" the RAID to this new drive as well?

Please, please please make sure that you have a complete DR Backup, a Bootable medium of the EXACT same version of the CUCM handy before you attempt anything at the Hardware RAID Level.

More over, this looks like a great time you discuss going Virtual on these servers ;-)

HTH

Regards

Hi,

I tried inserting the hard disk on bay 5 but the result was same, it was showing rebuilding and goes to reboot.

Physicaldrive 1:1 (box 1:bay 5, 146 GB): Rebuilding

no block devices found
"

So now what I did is inserted the new hard drive in bay 5 and restarted the Server.

Pressed F8 and went to disk utility. Its now showing 2 Logical Drive with  RAID 1+0 and the new harddisk status is showing rebuilding.

I will let you know the status by tomorrow.

Thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: