cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCM/IMP upgrade from 11.0 to 11.5

bkhanal1971
Level 3
Level 3

I have already done the upgrade of the software in my CUCM/IM&P cluster. Planning to switch version this weekend. I have about 3000 phones in the cluster. I have 2 CUCM groups with 2 subscribers in each group. I have been asked to minimize the downtime for the phones so just wanted to validate if what I have in my mind will meet their expectation.

1. Switch version on pub and wait till it comes up

2. Once pub is up, switch version on standby nodes (secondary subscribers in the cucm groups). Does it cause phones to re-register even though they are registered to the active nodes?

3. Check database replication status on those standby nodes and once done, switch version on active nodes. If I am correct, this is the phase when phones download new firmware right? and this is the only downtime for the phones until they update the firmware and register? Do they register to current standby nodes?

4. We use extension mobility extensively. Once someone logs into the phone, they will never log out. Do those users get logged out when phones upgrade the firmware and re-register?

Anyt other things I should keep in mind?

Thank you,

Khanal

2 Replies 2

jonathan.salter
Level 3
Level 3

I have already done the upgrade of the software in my CUCM/IM&P cluster. Planning to switch version this weekend. I have about 3000 phones in the cluster. I have 2 CUCM groups with 2 subscribers in each group. I have been asked to minimize the downtime for the phones so just wanted to validate if what I have in my mind will meet their expectation.

2. Once pub is up, switch version on standby nodes (secondary subscribers in the cucm groups). Does it cause phones to re-register even though they are registered to the active nodes?  No, phones will stay registered on the "active" sub

3. Check database replication status on those standby nodes and once done, switch version on active nodes. If I am correct, this is the phase when phones download new firmware right? You can always change the default firmware to the current version so they will not download and this is the only downtime for the phones until they update the firmware and register?  YES Do they register to current standby nodes?  They will register to the CM group they are assigned to in the device pool

4. We use extension mobility extensively. Once someone logs into the phone, they will never log out. Do those users get logged out when phones upgrade the firmware and re-register? I don't recall regarding the firmware, they wont get logged out if just a reboot.

Please remember to rate useful posts, click on the stars below.

I have 4 node cluster with 2 CM Groups (2 nodes per group - primary and secondary subscribers). Plus a publisher. I went through the link below to figure out how much time my phones will be out of service while doing the upgrade from version 11.0 to 11.5 but I am still clueless. As i stated earlier, I have already done the software upgrade, but waiting for the version switch for which I need to be able to give my management close to actual time the phones will be out of service.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/unified-communications/unified-communications-manager-callmanager/products-installation-and-configuration-guides-list.html

Thanks,

Khanal