Helpful
Replies

CUCM in a cluster and redundancy

sarahr202
Level 5
Level 5

Hi everybody.

Please consider the following example:

(1-100 phones)-----CM1------PUB-----CM2(101-200)

CM1 controls 1-100 phones; CM2 controls 101-200 phones. Publisher is not controlling any phones

My question is how does Cluster provide redundancy if CM1 goes down ?

I am just going on my  hunch here.

1-100 phones uses Call manger group as"

CM1

CM2

So after phones in 1-100 group does not receive the response from CM1 for keep alive, phones in 1-100 group contact the Cm2 and register with them.

Is this how we provide redundancy in a cluster?

thanks and have a great day.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Yes, via the CUCM group in which you define up to 3 servers in order of preference.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

View solution in original post

In addition to correct answers by my colleagues here, when building CM groups you need to obey few rules which are described in SRND. I realize your environment is small so this may not apply, but it is important to know of future.

• Cisco only supports 1:1 and 2:1 redundancy model, I see all kinds of unsupported deployments that end up in N:1 model, this leads to potential overload of backup servers.  Pay special consideration when clustering across WAN.
  • Yon need to ensure that the backup server is as powerful or more than the primary call processor it back up.
  • You should not be running CM process on Pub for environments with over 1250 devices.

HTH,

Chris

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Pls check this system guide URL:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/admin/8_0_1/ccmsys/a02redun.html#wp1020927

//Suresh Please rate all the useful posts.

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Yes, via the CUCM group in which you define up to 3 servers in order of preference.

HTH

java

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

In addition to correct answers by my colleagues here, when building CM groups you need to obey few rules which are described in SRND. I realize your environment is small so this may not apply, but it is important to know of future.

• Cisco only supports 1:1 and 2:1 redundancy model, I see all kinds of unsupported deployments that end up in N:1 model, this leads to potential overload of backup servers.  Pay special consideration when clustering across WAN.
  • Yon need to ensure that the backup server is as powerful or more than the primary call processor it back up.
  • You should not be running CM process on Pub for environments with over 1250 devices.

HTH,

Chris