cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCM Licensing and EM

Jason Amick
Level 1
Level 1

I have read the documentation on licensing for CUCM 9.x but I still do not understand how it works completely in reference to enhanced vs enhanced plus.  Also if I am using EM for most of my users does a EM profile use a license?  If a user has a device profile as well as a softphone would that user take one of the enhanced licenses.  Also since I am using ext mobility does each one of my hard phones have to have a userID assigned to it or could they all be anonymous since multiple users use the phones via EM.  Sorry I am use to using CUWL pro licensing and not a user based licensing. Thanks!!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

zdesignstudio
Level 4
Level 4

Heres a good link to some licensing scenarios with regards to EM. In short, Cisco doesnt license for EM.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/unified-communications/unified-communications-manager-callmanager/117600-technote-cucm-00.html#anc3

Please remember to rate useful posts and mark answers as "correct" if applicable.

Please rate useful posts and mark answers as correct if applicable.

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

zdesignstudio
Level 4
Level 4

Heres a good link to some licensing scenarios with regards to EM. In short, Cisco doesnt license for EM.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/unified-communications/unified-communications-manager-callmanager/117600-technote-cucm-00.html#anc3

Please remember to rate useful posts and mark answers as "correct" if applicable.

Thanks guys this did shed some light on most of my questions but also brings up additional questions.  Looks like you are correct and adding EM profiles does not go towards my license count. From reading the links above I believe it is safe to say that adding a user in CUCM will not go towards your license count either but when you add an (unassigned) device it will use an enahanced license.  When you add additional features such as mobility it as well will increase the enhanced license count.  Does this sound correct?  Also if I have a user that will use extension mobility on both a hard phone and a softphone would it make sense to assign that user to both a hard phone and a softphone to use an enhance plus or should I always keep the hardphones as unassigned as mulitple people may use them?  Thanks!!

Not all devices use enhanced licenses. Analog phones and basic IP phones will use a basic license. When you add features, it may change the license requirement from a basic to enhanced.

So the way I see it and correct me if I am wrong.  Say I have 10 cisco 7942 devices that are unassigned.  Essentially I will be using 1 enhanced license per device so the count on enhanced will be 10.  If I then add a user with no features the license count stays the same for all enhanced plus/enhanced/basic and essential.  If I add a softphone to CUCM as unassigned my enhanced count will then increase by 1 because I added an extra device so the total will be 11.  If I then set the ownerID for this user on both a hardphone and softphone my enhanced license count should decrease by 2 and in turn use one enahnce plus license?  Is this scenario correct?

Pretty much you got it.

Please rate useful posts and mark answers as "correct" if applicable.

Thanks very useful information in the link provided.  Here is my direct setup, I have 650 enhanced licenses installed and 50 enhanced plus.  All users have EM and at times may use a softphone or may use a hardphone depending on where they are.  The only reason the users will need to use an enhanced plus license is because I assign them to 2 devices.  I do this just to use 1 enhanced plus and not 2 enhanced.  From a cost perspective is it better to keep doing this or would it just be more cost effective to pay for the 2 enhanced licenses and have all devices unassigned?  Thanks!!

I guess it depends on your pricing. What costs more, 2 enhanced or 1 enhanced plus? 

Makes sense I will just have to see if I can get a previous quote and look at the pricing on that.  Thanks again.

Deepak Rawat
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Not sure, if you have gone though them or not but it is worth giving them a shot in case you haven't:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/document/117441/licensing-unified-communication-90

https://supportforums.cisco.com/document/115166/licensing-architecture-cisco-unified-communication-manager-cucm-version-9x-faq-live#Q:_What_about_extension_Mobility_and_the_new_licensing

Regards

Deepak