cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCM Media Resources Device Pool

ccg-collab1
Level 2
Level 2

Hi Everyone, It really confusing me, what is the use of device pool under the media resources (MTP, CFB, Xcode...etc)?. Hopefully someone can help me.

Thank you.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

So for example when a media resource is being allocated, there are three devices in picture, Device A (call origination), Device B (Call destination) and the Media resource (MR). The RTP is going to flow between A and B via the media resource, for this to happen Device A and the MR's regions are used for codec negotiation as well as for Device B and MR. So only if these negotiations happen the MR will be allocated. So essentially when an MR is invoked the region it inherits from it's Device pool is used for the capability negotiation.

Please rate if you find this helpful.

Regards,
Aeby

Regards,
Aeby

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

It specifies the CallManager Group that Resource is expected to register with.

Hi Jonathan, Thank you for the reply. Just a follow up question, this one is really confusing me, What is the use of region on media resources, as I know region is used for codec that the phone can use for call establishment. Thank you very much. 

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Pretty much the same as for any other device that uses a device pool, a set of common settings that include things like date/time group, region, location, etc.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Hi Jaime, Thank you for the reply. Just a follow up question, this one is really confusing me, What is the use of region on media resources, as I know region is used for codec that the phone can use for call establishment. Thank you very much. 

So for example when a media resource is being allocated, there are three devices in picture, Device A (call origination), Device B (Call destination) and the Media resource (MR). The RTP is going to flow between A and B via the media resource, for this to happen Device A and the MR's regions are used for codec negotiation as well as for Device B and MR. So only if these negotiations happen the MR will be allocated. So essentially when an MR is invoked the region it inherits from it's Device pool is used for the capability negotiation.

Regards,
Aeby

Regards,
Aeby

Because they need to register with a cucm. Also, some resources like MOH
and ANN need to know their region, compare it with phone region and see
which codec should be played out. Same applied for location BW (multicast
MOH doesn't use CAC).
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: