cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCM Migration Task using PCD.

Candreas2
Level 1
Level 1

We plan to migrate our existing CUCM 9.1.2 version to CUCM 11.5 (1). I have watched you tube presentations. They gave good presentations using their lab environment to do this migration task and they failed to explain the last twist that might occur during the maintenance window. My concern is I plan to use different IP Addresses for my new CUCM and change it to original IP during the maintenance window. This will allow the new cluster would work correctly in the firewall prospects. I wonder how the older ITL files would impact when the new CUCM nodes come up on line? Any suggestion would be appreciated. Has anyone done this in the real production environment? I will have more questions if someone answers.

11 Replies 11

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Changing the IP does not affect the certificates, unless you're using IP and not hostname/FQDN for the server.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Thanks Jamie. So my assumption is you are saying we can go ahead and install our new cluster during the normal business hours and do the migration during the upgrade weekend right? My main concern is during the migration task, the old publisher would shut down. Then what happens to the end points registration when the first publisher shutdown?  Secondly, I am not getting the presenters' explanations select the bootable iso to install task and same bootable for migration task as well. How the newly installed CUCM cluster get the old cluster database? When we do manual way it will automatically gets during the upgrade (Refresh Upgrade) and move the older version to inactive partition. Could someone explain this?  More questions to come...

https://youtu.be/2C_gy_XmBmE

HTH

java

Hi Jaime,

This you tube presentation is explaining bit more what happens during the migration. Thanks. I do have few more questions to ask. Our current CUCM does not have domain, or dns entries configured. However, we need to have these info and the FQDN when the new cluster come on line. What do we need to do? My thinking is add them prior to the migration to pub and all subs. Then migrate them or the PCD would do that for us automatically?

Thanks,

-Charles A

PCD can perform a hostname change OR domain change while migrating (only one can be done), I've never tried it when no domain was configured. I think should work  fine, you'd need to lab this up to confirm it works fine.

Do bear in mind that this change will affect ALL the certificates from your server.

HTH

java

Hi Jaime,
I also watched your cucm manual upgrade video. One thing was bothering me. When you add the cucm 11.0 files to the CD/DVD using Exsi, you choose the Bootable CUCM 11.0 file. However, when you start doing the upgrade in the OS Admin page, the software upgrade page automatically found the Non bootable cucm 11.0 upgrade file. How did this possible?
Regards,
CA

Bootable media can be used for upgrades.

HTH

java

Hi Jaime,

Thanks for the info. It seems that https://youtu.be/2C_gy_XmBmE does not work anymore. Do you have new link for your video? Thanks.

I am trying to upgrade CUCM from 11.5 to 12.5. I have the following thoughts:
1. Use PCD to migrate production CUCM 11.5 to CUCM 12.5 in a LAB network with the same IP addresses. (needs PCD NAT function)
2. Verification CUCM 12.5 in the LAB
3. Disconnect production CUCM 11.5 from the network
3. Switch LAB CUCM 12.5 servers to production network
Do you think it is reasonable?

Thanks.

-Ben

j.huizinga
Level 6
Level 6

I have made several PCD migrations and upgrades and in general it works perfectly. Only once I got stuck because a platform password was too long or had non-supported characters.

In general I don't like to make changes during PCD migration/upgrade. So first migrate/upgrade and then make changes like going from IP to FQDN etc. But this is just my 2 cents

JH

Hi Huizinga,

Thanks for this useful hint. Have you done any UCCX migrations using PCD? I plan to go from UCCX 9.0.2(SU2) to UCCX 10.6.1.(SU3).

Thanks,

-Charles A

Nope, never actually done any mayor upgrade from UCCX using PCD. In general the UCCX installations that I had were old, or had a zillion prompts/scripts that were not used anymore. So I just started from scratch to clean up the mess.

JH