cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCM Multi-Tenant Design

Steven DiStefano
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Looking at a 40-50 site Multi-tennant design, where the end customer (not a SP) is providing UC services to a diverse set of agencies they operate? 

1) I've looked at HCS and HCS-LE, and neither meet the business requirements of the customer wanting to expend the CAPEX to own, maintain & manage themselves, nor license regulations limiting only Cisco Partners to operation and resale of the perpetual licenses. 

2) I did find Session Manager Edition in the CUCM SRND, which does lend itself to the requirements perfectly, but this requires small CUCMs cluster in every location as leafs (expen$ive). 

3) I did see the Data Sheets on HUCS, but  I believe this is also limited to Service Provider deployments (correct me if I am wrong)?

4) The last option I am looking at now is building one very large Multi-tenant CUCM cluster

-  each site with SRST VGs, Switches and Phones

-  centralized SIP trunking at the HQ as well as full network management. 

- CDR for call reconciliation

- Partitions and Calling Search Space for separating tenants

- Route Groups and Lists to restrict access to a large pool of centralized trunks

But before I nose dive into getting a grasp on things like avoiding corporate directory overlap, dealing with  AD Domains, and Extension overlap, I wanted to ask if this is still a least cost option still viable and supported today?

Or what other limitations I need to be careful of?

Thank you.

Steve

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Here's what comes to mind for potential option four landminds:
  • The single-forest restriciton of DirSync (to say nothing of SSO) you already mentioned. You can potentially overcome this with Microsoft Lightweight Directory Services but this will get complicated [read: messy] in a hurry.
  • Maintaining administrative separation: permissions in CUCM are all-or-nothing on a per-page basis. If the admin has access to phones, they can see every phone in the cluster, not just those in his/her site. You can potentially overcome this with a provisioning product from Cisco or 3rd party; lock everyone out of CUCM/CXN UIs essentially.
  • Some dependant applications have serious problems with multi-tenant in a single CUCM cluster, namely:
    • Contact Center Express: You will see every CCX user - by name - in the admin and reporting interfaces.
    • Jabber and CUP/IM&P: Only one presence domain per-CUCM cluster. If the tenants have separate domains (e.g. nbc.com vs. universal.com) they can only use one for Jabber. Other features of IM&P/CUP also don't scale to multi-tenant including the Exchange integration for example.
    • Probably others...
  • Depending on the legal relationships between these companies the providing company may fall under carrier-specific telecom laws. One of the bigger hurdles would be CALEA. As an example, what happens if - by remote chance - someone from tennant A calls the DID of tennant B? If those are two separate companies you may have just become a carrier (disclamer: this is not legal advice).

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify helpful or correct answers.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Here's what comes to mind for potential option four landminds:
  • The single-forest restriciton of DirSync (to say nothing of SSO) you already mentioned. You can potentially overcome this with Microsoft Lightweight Directory Services but this will get complicated [read: messy] in a hurry.
  • Maintaining administrative separation: permissions in CUCM are all-or-nothing on a per-page basis. If the admin has access to phones, they can see every phone in the cluster, not just those in his/her site. You can potentially overcome this with a provisioning product from Cisco or 3rd party; lock everyone out of CUCM/CXN UIs essentially.
  • Some dependant applications have serious problems with multi-tenant in a single CUCM cluster, namely:
    • Contact Center Express: You will see every CCX user - by name - in the admin and reporting interfaces.
    • Jabber and CUP/IM&P: Only one presence domain per-CUCM cluster. If the tenants have separate domains (e.g. nbc.com vs. universal.com) they can only use one for Jabber. Other features of IM&P/CUP also don't scale to multi-tenant including the Exchange integration for example.
    • Probably others...
  • Depending on the legal relationships between these companies the providing company may fall under carrier-specific telecom laws. One of the bigger hurdles would be CALEA. As an example, what happens if - by remote chance - someone from tennant A calls the DID of tennant B? If those are two separate companies you may have just become a carrier (disclamer: this is not legal advice).

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify helpful or correct answers.

great answer! we inherited a multi tenant cluster and are now in the process of dismantling and using multiple CMEs for those very reasons.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

I'm guessing no change in this scenario (or resolution of the related issues) in the past 6 months?