Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCM Naming Concentions: Partitions, Hunt Lists & Hunt Groups

conor.maton
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I am in the process of producing a Voice LLD and would like to include the names of the Partitions, Hunt Lists & Hunt Groups I am going to use.

I am proposing to name them as follows:

Partition: PT_SITE_ONE&TWO

Hunt List: HL_SITE_ONE&TWO

Line Group: LG_SITE_ONE&TWO

The above is the best way that suits my deployment but I am not sure if the '&' character can be used.

Is there a list of characters that I cannot use in CUCM?

Thanks in advance

4 Replies 4

will.alvord
Level 5
Level 5

If you go to help for this page, you should see the character/length limitations.

I'd suggest against the "PT_" and "HL_" type prefixes or suffixes though except for gateway/trunk, route groups and route lists. The only time that you'll see a list of partitions is on the partition find/list page or in a list explicitly marked as partitions. You'll never see hunt lists listed in a partition list. I'm not sure why every tutorial/document seems to have those in there. The exception is the way that you can point a route pattern directly to a gateway/trunk vs to a route list. Because of that, there are extra checks to ensure that you don't have duplicate names (off the top of my head I believe it's just between route lists and route groups). Anyways, these prefixes and suffixes generally serve no purpose.

Leonardo Santana
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hello,

Use the names and descriptions that will organize the configurations of your cluster:

Partition: PT_SITE_ONE&TWO

Hunt List: HL_SITE_ONE&TWO

Line Group: LG_SITE_ONE&TWO

I think that is good that way you´ll use.

Regards

Leonardo Santana

Regards
Leonardo Santana

*** Rate All Helpful Responses***

Hi Leonardo. If I may ask, why do you use those PT_, HL_, LG prefixes? Just trying to understand what the gain is. In addition to readability, there's actually a limitation of partition name length that reduces the number of partitions in a given search space (https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/admin/8_6_1/ccmcfg/bccm-861-cm/b03parti.html#wp1061015%0A). So the longer the partition name, the fewer the partitions you can add to a css. Reducing the partition name by 3 characters might not sound like much, but considering that those 3 letters seem completely useless to me...just trying to educate myself since I must be missing something.

Rajan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Hi Conor,

In CUCM, names can only contain alphanumeric characters, spaces ( ), dash(-) and underscores (_) and it wont allow any other special characters

HTH
Rajan
Pls rate all useful posts by clicking the star below
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: