cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCM Region vs. Location Video Bandwidth

Gregory Smith
Level 1
Level 1

Can someone explain the difference between the Video Bandwidth settings in the Location and Region pages in CUCM 7.1?

What do the settings do and what are failure scenarios if they are set incorrectly?

I appreciate your assistance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Couple of things:

1. The bandwidth setting for video in a region is the sum of the audio bandwidth and video bandwidth and does not include overhead. So, if you set video bandwidth at 384K and the audio codec at G.711, video calls will use 320k (384k - 64k for G.711 audio).

2. The video bandwidth setting effects how much bandwidth a video client will use. For exampe, CUVA can use between 50k and 1.5Mb of bandwidth. The amount of bandwidth it uses will be determined by the region setting. Higher bandwidth = better quality video.

Hope this helps.

Brandon

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Brandon Buffin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

The Region settings tell the video call which codec/how much bandwidth to use. The Location setting is used for CAC (Call Admission Control). It indicates how much total bandwidth can be used for video calls between devices in different locations therefore limiting the number of video calls to ensure call quality.

Hope this helps.

Brandon

Thanks... the location explanation makes sense to me, and I understand the audio functions of the Region settings.  But could you elaborate on the region video bandwidth setting?  What does the video bandwidth setting affect - i.e what would happen if you increase or decrease the bandwidth amount?

Thanks again.

Couple of things:

1. The bandwidth setting for video in a region is the sum of the audio bandwidth and video bandwidth and does not include overhead. So, if you set video bandwidth at 384K and the audio codec at G.711, video calls will use 320k (384k - 64k for G.711 audio).

2. The video bandwidth setting effects how much bandwidth a video client will use. For exampe, CUVA can use between 50k and 1.5Mb of bandwidth. The amount of bandwidth it uses will be determined by the region setting. Higher bandwidth = better quality video.

Hope this helps.

Brandon

Thanks for the information Brandon.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: