cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCM Restart failover time from Publisher to Subscriber

Peter Wilkinson
Level 1
Level 1

I have been trying to find a document that describes the process the ip phones goes through to register to a Subscriber when the Publisher they are on is restarted manually.

From what I can make out, there is a controlled handover, causing minimal if any interuption.  We have approximately 400 phones split across the Publisher and Subscriber. We have several teams working 24x7, so describing the impact accurately is important.

When I did the restart from the OS admin GUI on a vers 6.1.5, it didn't shutdown straight away.   Can anyone tell me what is happening?  Is the Publisher still operational but not sending out keepalive acknowledges allowing the phones to register to the Subscriber before it shuts down, or is there another handover process?

What interuption can be expected?  What my customer observed was the phone indicator flashed.  From what I have read connected calls are not dropped, calls not connected are, as are calls on hold.

We are currently in the transition of phones from the 6.1.5 system to a 8.6.1 system, does this later version use the same methodology?

Is the fallback from Subscriber to Publisher the same process or more controlled?

Peter

1 Reply 1

acampbell
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Peter,

Your question is really all about phone keep-a-lives.

Please see this excellent CSC document

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-19066

Regards,
Alex.
Please rate useful posts.

Regards, Alex. Please rate useful posts.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: