Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCM: transcoding

kozorezdi
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone,

Please explain me some recommendation from Cisco Student Book CIPT2 for transcoding.

Scenario:

HQ (CUCM, phones, G.711 only device; Router as Trasncoder)

BR (phones)

Regions:

HQ - G.711

BR - G.711

HQ-BR- G.729

Recommendations:

1) create an additional region(TR) for the Transcoder

2) TR-HQ - G.711; TR-BR - G.729

Question:

For me not very clear why do need it. We can put the Transcoder to HQ region (with the same Device Pool and MRGL) as well with the same situation G.711---G.729.  I don't see a reason why we need such scheme.

I would apprecate any comments.  Thank you in advance.

--

Dmitry

4 Replies 4

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I concur with you, the transcoder should be assigned to the same region via existing or new DP in the HQ. The only reason to do something else would be if the requirement was to use this transcoder as media resrouce for other sites as well (not likely real world scenario).  Sometime folks writing these questions over think things :-)

Chris

Thank you Chris for your post. 

Ok.  Multi-Site over WAN  with Cenralized Call Processing.  CUCM at HQ.  A phone from BR is calling to VM(HQ)-G.711 only device or CUCM SoftConferenceBridge.  It is trying to negociate the codec and based on the Region settings it has to be G.729, but VM can't agree with it.  And it is an event for our Transcoder at HQ site.  In this case, why do I need to put the Transoder to a separate Region and TR-HQ - G.711; TR-BR - G.729?  How it works?

You don't, that was my point. The recommendation to build separate region is invalid.

Chris

I see.  Thank you for your comment.  Strange...  The same idea in the official book of CIPT2(Chris Olsen) page 31 as well